C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering...hard to turn on start-up....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Power Steering...hard to turn on start-up....

A few months ago on the 82, I replaced the powers steering control valve, the ram, and hoses. Bled the system to remove the air, no problem.
Left the power steering ram disconnected to see if it needed adjustment. It did not move on start-up, so I left it alone and connected. But everytime I start the engine and move the vehicle at a slow speed, it is very hard to turn. Once operating at speed, it is fine.
Any thoughts or ideas on this????
BTW....steering box was also rebuilt...........Thanks....Tom
Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

It could be your pump is weak or the belt is slipping, if you increase the rpm does it steer ok?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

did you center the ram ? before connecting to bracket
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gve
It could be your pump is weak or the belt is slipping, if you increase the rpm does it steer ok?
yes, as you increase the rpm's and get up to speed, it steers fine, only when you are at very slow speed, does it feel harder to turn. It also may be when the fluid is cold upon start-up. I don't hear any pump noise and belt was adjusted during the summer.

Originally Posted by Phil Zell
did you center the ram ? before connecting to bracket
no did not center the ram, as it did not move (was not connected to the bracket) when the engine was started, so I thought it wasn't a necessary step to take.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
yes, as you increase the rpm's and get up to speed, it steers fine, only when you are at very slow speed, does it feel harder to turn. It also may be when the fluid is cold upon start-up. I don't hear any pump noise and belt was adjusted during the summer.

I think what he was asking is if when you are sitting still, in park or neutral, when you increase RPM's does it get easier to steer, not when moving because that is what naturally happens when you increase your speed.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:56 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
I think what he was asking is if when you are sitting still, in park or neutral, when you increase RPM's does it get easier to steer, not when moving because that is what naturally happens when you increase your speed.
Thanks for pointing that out, at my age some things just go over my head.....
that I have not tried, but will do tomorrow in the AM.......
Old 12-30-2012, 10:04 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

at my age some things just go over my head.....
Boy don't I know that
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I read that you bleed the system. On mine, I thought I had bleed it adequately and was acting the same way as yours. I put it up on jack stands and turned wheel back and forth w/ the car off many times and then started the car and repeated. I actully had a friend helping and he could see air bubbles coming up in the reservoir as we turned the wheel. Topped of the fluid to correct level and it fixed mine. Hope this helps.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default You might try this...

Rebleed the system.

If still not good enough make sure this valve moves freely.

Still not good enough then try this:
Posts 5 10 & 16:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...some-help.html

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 11-26-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MalibuVLX
I read that you bleed the system. On mine, I thought I had bleed it adequately and was acting the same way as yours. I put it up on jack stands and turned wheel back and forth w/ the car off many times and then started the car and repeated. I actully had a friend helping and he could see air bubbles coming up in the reservoir as we turned the wheel. Topped of the fluid to correct level and it fixed mine. Hope this helps.
thanks for the info, I will have to do what you did and bleed the system again. I'll probably adjust the control valve, even though it didn't move on start-up. appreciated....Tom
Old 01-03-2013, 06:30 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
Rebleed the system.

If still not good enough make sure this valve moves freely.

Still not good enough then try this:
Posts 5 10 & 16:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...some-help.html
Pete, good info....thanks.........
Old 01-04-2013, 12:02 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I keep hearing all the chatter about bleeding. It really isn't necessary. If you drive it for any length of time it will bleed itself. Might not operate quite right initially, but, it don't take long for it to settle down. Bleeding is as simple as turning lock to lock a couple of times.

In this case it could be one of three things. Low pressure ( pump or pressure valve), a bad control valve, which doesn't apply fluid to each side of the cylinder, or the cylinder itself. Sometimes the seal leaks between the compartments of the cylinder and pressurizes both sides.

Start by checking the pressure by pinching off the pressure line or turning it hard against the locks. If it howls and the engine labors, the pressure is OK. Then go to the cylinder.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not saying it is bound to happen, and it is apparently rare, but one particularly alarming control valve malfunction is to suddenly go full-lock one way or the other, and with such force that you're unlikely to overcome it in the moment. Had mine do that, steering me across opposing lanes. Fortunately, there was a gap in traffic and I managed to get stopped just short of a telephone pole, or I wouldn't be sharing my story.

So, in the odd event that your problem could eventually cause the above, I'd urge that you don't delay diagnosing and addressing whatever is wrong.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wombvette
I keep hearing all the chatter about bleeding. It really isn't necessary. If you drive it for any length of time it will bleed itself. Might not operate quite right initially, but, it don't take long for it to settle down. Bleeding is as simple as turning lock to lock a couple of times.

In this case it could be one of three things. Low pressure ( pump or pressure valve), a bad control valve, which doesn't apply fluid to each side of the cylinder, or the cylinder itself. Sometimes the seal leaks between the compartments of the cylinder and pressurizes both sides.

Start by checking the pressure by pinching off the pressure line or turning it hard against the locks. If it howls and the engine labors, the pressure is OK. Then go to the cylinder.
The power control valve is new, but as mentioned, I never adjusted it because it appeared to be dead on during start-up. The cylinder is a rebuilt unit and all hoses are new. When I do check the PS fluid, there appears to be alot of fluid outside the cap, and on the neck of the pump, so I may have a pump problem as suggested.
The wheel does not pull one way or another on the highway, I can be going 70 or above and let go of the wheel and it tracks straight. I don't hear any unusual noises from the pump at any time. It's just when I am going real slow, like backing out of the driveway and turning at the same time, and then turning and moving forward that it seems to have alot of effort to turn, once the r's are up and up to speed it is fine. When I get to work and park, same thing hard effort to turn at low speed.

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Not saying it is bound to happen, and it is apparently rare, but one particularly alarming control valve malfunction is to suddenly go full-lock one way or the other, and with such force that you're unlikely to overcome it in the moment. Had mine do that, steering me across opposing lanes. Fortunately, there was a gap in traffic and I managed to get stopped just short of a telephone pole, or I wouldn't be sharing my story.

So, in the odd event that your problem could eventually cause the above, I'd urge that you don't delay diagnosing and addressing whatever is wrong.
Appreciating all of the replies.....Tom
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're tracking straight and can let go of the wheel, you don't need any adjustment.

Your pump may be just worn beyond an acceptable point. Just like an alternator, they put out less flow at a lower rpm, but it should be acceptable at idle.
As mentioned, clean out the flow and relief valve, bleed properly as described above and run till all the foaming is gone and then test for squealing at lock.
The only better way to test the pump is to use a gauge.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

I don't hear any unusual noises from the pump at any time.
If you turn it hard to lock and hold it hard against the lock the engine should go into labor, and the pump will growl. If it doesn't do that, there is not much pressure there.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by noonie
If you're tracking straight and can let go of the wheel, you don't need any adjustment.

Your pump may be just worn beyond an acceptable point. Just like an alternator, they put out less flow at a lower rpm, but it should be acceptable at idle.
As mentioned, clean out the flow and relief valve, bleed properly as described above and run till all the foaming is gone and then test for squealing at lock.
The only better way to test the pump is to use a gauge.
Sounds good on the adjustment.....that's what I was thinking....

How do you test with a gauge? I imagine that procedure is in the Service Manual.
Will do the above this weekend and see what happens....
thanks for the reply.........

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering...hard to turn on start-up....

Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wombvette
If you turn it hard to lock and hold it hard against the lock the engine should go into labor, and the pump will growl. If it doesn't do that, there is not much pressure there.
So what you are saying is that I need to hear the growl and the engine go into labor, (when holding it hard against lock) which would tell me that the pump is putting out the correct pressure???? And if not, would that mean that the pump is worn as noonie suggested???
Am I understanding this right?
You know how it gets, when you get to the age!!!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

put a fish scale on the steering wheel and see how many lbs. it takes to turn stopped.
7# is normal.
i didn't like that, so i modified the CV. now it is only 3#.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

So what you are saying is that I need to hear the growl and the engine go into labor, (when holding it hard against lock) which would tell me that the pump is putting out the correct pressure???? And if not, would that mean that the pump is worn as noonie suggested???
Am I understanding this right?
You know how it gets, when you get to the age!!!
Yup

Quick Reply: Power Steering...hard to turn on start-up....