C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential 'slip bearings'

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 AM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differential 'slip bearings'

I finally got around to installing the pinion back into the differential case with the use of new bearings modified as 'slip bearings' to assist with the set up.

I installed new 'set up cups' into the carrier to assist with this measurement process.

Once the desired measurement has been achieved and new pinion bearings installed, would I have to replace the 'set up cups' for new ?

I am thinking that cups and cones of the same brand are not sold as matched sets and this would not be a concern.

Thanks in advance of your comments.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

New bearings and races are typically not matched, however used ones need to stay matched with each other. Bearings and cups can be purchased separately or in the same box.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Vtechcorvette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Corvette
I finally got around to installing the pinion back into the differential case with the use of new bearings modified as 'slip bearings' to assist with the set up.

I installed new 'set up cups' into the carrier to assist with this measurement process.

Once the desired measurement has been achieved and new pinion bearings installed, would I have to replace the 'set up cups' for new ?

I am thinking that cups and cones of the same brand are not sold as matched sets and this would not be a concern.

Thanks in advance of your comments.
There may be up to a .oo4 thousands difference in the setup bearings and the final bearing set you are using. Be sure to do a final pattern checks.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Korevette
Racer

Great info, thanks guys. I am going to start the process this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Differential 'slip bearings'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Differential 'slip bearings'