C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 Transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
myc3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default T56 Transmission mount

I would like to know if you think this transmission mount will work for my T56 magnum that I am installing in my 77 vette. There is a picture @ the link below.

Basically it is the same stock mount that was used for the auto transmission. I would just be moving the crossmember and welding it in a new location.

Not sure if the cantilever will be ok with a standard tranny. My assembly manual shows no cantilever for the stock 77 manual tranny mount. It bolts right down on the crossmember. That cannot be done without modifying an auto crossmember.

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/16077967/

Last edited by myc3; 01-14-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

Wouldn't modding the crossmember be easier than relocating it? When I mocked up my t56 I found the mounting holes directly above the crossmember, but with no room for the rubber/poly mount. So I just notched my stock crossmember.

The tranny in the picture you linked too looks like it's mounted way to high. There is little clearance between my trans tailshaft and the crossmember, and the top of the tranmission is almost touching the tunnel.

That being said, I may need to shim the mount to tune the ujoint angles. We'll see if there's any vibration when this project finally sees the pavement.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 AM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The T56 Magnum trani is a very large train. I would have to agree that the trani needs to be set lower to fit without major trani cover mods.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

I have a T56 Magnum in my '75 behind a 496 BBC. Used the Quicktime bellhousing.

I already had a removeable crossmember. I ended up up getting a new crossmember from Bowtie Overdrives. It is not in thier catalog, call them. Had to modify the perch a little but worked great.

Got a shifter from Hurst Drivelines for a 70-81 Camaro. Removed the 4 bolts on the shifter and turned it 180 degrees. Trim tunnel for the shifter base and shift handle fits right in stock console.

I ended up spacing the tranny up 1/2" from the perch for driveline angles and have no issues with tunnel clearance except for one small 2"x2" area that I had to clearance for the 1310 billet yoke. Also ended up with a 2-1/2" driveshaft and ground down the end of the passenger side seatbelt fastening bolt a little for clearance.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:23 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG75
I have a T56 Magnum in my '75 behind a 496 BBC. Used the Quicktime bellhousing.

I already had a removeable crossmember. I ended up up getting a new crossmember from Bowtie Overdrives. It is not in thier catalog, call them. Had to modify the perch a little but worked great.

Got a shifter from Hurst Drivelines for a 70-81 Camaro. Removed the 4 bolts on the shifter and turned it 180 degrees. Trim tunnel for the shifter base and shift handle fits right in stock console.

I ended up spacing the tranny up 1/2" from the perch for driveline angles and have no issues with tunnel clearance except for one small 2"x2" area that I had to clearance for the 1310 billet yoke. Also ended up with a 2-1/2" driveshaft and ground down the end of the passenger side seatbelt fastening bolt a little for clearance.
I would love to see some pics of your shifter set up. Did you end up using the center shifter location on the train or did you have to use the very forward one?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy22
I would love to see some pics of your shifter set up. Did you end up using the center shifter location on the train or did you have to use the very forward one?
The shifter is in the rear location. My tunnel was already cut on the centerline due to my earlier Tremec 5 speed swap (before there were kits). By rotating the shifter 180 degrees, it is offset 1-1/2" to the left and comes right through the stock console.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 PM
myc3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
Wouldn't modding the crossmember be easier than relocating it? When I mocked up my t56 I found the mounting holes directly above the crossmember, but with no room for the rubber/poly mount. So I just notched my stock crossmember.
Just really want to know if Forum members think that the setup in my original post will work or if you believe that he crossmember must be modified.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

The one shown would put the tailshaft way too high. If you wanted to move the stock crossmember back, the mount would have to put the trans bushing in front of the crossmember instead of on top of it.

Get notified of new replies

To T56 Transmission mount

Quick Reply: T56 Transmission mount