C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Too cool my brother!
Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 PM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not a rolling burn out, you don't take a risk on over heating the brakes.

http://youtu.be/-LGCkhK0lAI

Riggs

Last edited by riggs 74; 02-09-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Destroyed the u-joint right next to the battery box last year........ the holes still there..............
Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 PM
V8Ranger
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tried it my vette, kinda afraid of the rear end (makes noise already). But in my 'little' truck - put it in 3rd gear, push the brake on hard, push the line-lock button on top of the verti-gate shifter, let off the brakes, rev to about 4000 and slip foot off the clutch pedal, try to feather the throttle just above the rev-limiter (about 6800) and let off the line-lock button when I can't see out the windshield anymore, steer to keep it straight until it just start to grab then let off...
Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 AM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy75
whenever I stomp on my accelerator from a stand-still, I just get pure acceleration...no squeal or tire burning...just GO!
I had the same problem, two cap nuts and a bit of gas line teflon tape solved it! (and the inner bubba woke up in me!)
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by PaPaPork
I had the same problem, two cap nuts and a bit of gas line teflon tape solved it! (and the inner bubba woke up in me!)
What does all this mean?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:24 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Wow! Some of you guys never lived, really!
Manual- Put the vehicle in 1st, Lift off clutch just enough to take all the play out of the drivetrain. Push R foot to floor as you lift left foot off floor.
Automatic- Put car in Drive. From a dead stop stomp accelerator to floor.
My Bone Stock 1972 L48 400 turbo W/ 3.08 gears would roast the tires using the automatic method above.
If your car will not roast the tires using these methods it is time to do some work to it, tuning, timing curve, ignition components, carb tuning or new performance parts.. Reving to 4000 RPM and dumping the clutch or dropping it into gear, Neutral drops or "backoffs" (reverse drops) will tear drivetrain components out and can cause severe damage.
Wheel hop is another problem and will require some trial and error rear suspension work to eliminate.
really?

nothing says "you're too old" when you can't chuckle at all of those above techniques.

Yeah, it tears it up - I wouldn't be a hotrodder if I didn't break stuff doing really silly things.
Yep, eventually something will break - so what? they'll rebuild it with better parts.... and eventually stop breaking stuff AND be the next gen of hotrodders rather than car-appliance buyers.

When my GTO was in the shop for warranty work, the dealership "blessed" me with a Volt. I absolutely hated that car - there was nothing about it to be excited about - and worst of all, even with all the tried and true methods for doing a burnout.... nada. That is the future of cars - all because some flipping old guy had his fun and wants to keep others from having theirs.

seriously, embrace your inner youth.....

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 02-12-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Put it in high gear and move into the bleach or water box and press on the gas....if you cant spin the tires this way, go home.... your cluttering the track up.....and embarrassing yourself.....This happens at the Woodward Dream cruise quite often......
Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What does all this mean?
Let me start by saying DON'T DO IT!!! I did not drive like that on a public road...

two cap nuts with the same thread size as the break lines going into calipers, remove the nuts connecting the line to caliper, wrap it in gas teflon tape, screw the cap nut on that, the cap nut "cap" should fit into the caliper hole where the break line used to go, it should not dangle. After doughnuts and burnouts the line stayed in place on my car I wanted to check how much difference it is to do a burnout with line lock before I buy and mount one, so I did. BUT I WAS BEING AN IDIOT - PLEASE DONT BE ONE
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
really?

nothing says "you're too old" when you can't chuckle at all of those above techniques.

Yeah, it tears it up - I wouldn't be a hotrodder if I didn't break stuff doing really silly things.
Yep, eventually something will break - so what? they'll rebuild it with better parts.... and eventually stop breaking stuff AND be the next gen of hotrodders rather than car-appliance buyers.

When my GTO was in the shop for warranty work, the dealership "blessed" me with a Volt. I absolutely hated that car - there was nothing about it to be excited about - and worst of all, even with all the tried and true methods for doing a burnout.... nada. That is the future of cars - all because some flipping old guy had his fun and wants to keep others from having theirs.

seriously, embrace your inner youth.....
The guy asked "how to do a burnout?" Not "how to drop a transmission"
This "old guy" has 527 hp + a little red button that bumps it up 150 HP, a close ratio 6 speed and a 12 bolt 4.11. I can do a burnout with 295-50-15's going 55 down the highway in 4th gear just stomping the accelerator. That is all the embracing of my inner youth I need.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the most childish, immature thing ive seen people do.First to do it proper ,you have to have some hp,if you dont have hp,please,dont humiliate yourself by doing a power brake burn out Its a proper burnout when all you have to do is just mash the gas peddle without touching the brakes But whether its done proper or not ,its a big waste of good money . And it does look silly doing it on the street.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Sunstroked
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 114 Posts

In my youth I decided to find the outer limits of my engine/trans of my 73 Camaro. After consuming more than a few beers, yes reckless youth that i was, I took it down the street to the school parking lot late 1 night. It took quite awhile actually to find the breaking point of the driveline. Many neutral drops and reverse to 1st burnouts later, I broke a u joint, busted the trans case, and gashed a hole in the drive shaft tunnel. We pushed it home, wasn't far, had a trail of trans fluid following us home. and that began my 1st street car build up. By the time it was done, it sported a well built 350, b&m turbo 400, and a 12 bolt posi. I had it on the bottle for several yrs too. Fun stuff.
Some 35+ yrs later I still get a kick out of toasting the tires now and then in my 92 corvette. Just punch it, from anything below 25 mph and it toasts the 295/35/18 rear tires.
And I did not put thousands of dollars into my 72 vettes engine build for gas mileage either.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm not planning to do a burn-out
Yaa....just like I'm not plannng to breathe
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63mako
The guy asked "how to do a burnout?" Not "how to drop a transmission"
This "old guy" has 527 hp + a little red button that bumps it up 150 HP, a close ratio 6 speed and a 12 bolt 4.11. I can do a burnout with 295-50-15's going 55 down the highway in 4th gear just stomping the accelerator. That is all the embracing of my inner youth I need.
I want your car!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
This is the most childish, immature thing ive seen people do.First to do it proper ,you have to have some hp,if you dont have hp,please,dont humiliate yourself by doing a power brake burn out Its a proper burnout when all you have to do is just mash the gas peddle without touching the brakes But whether its done proper or not ,its a big waste of good money . And it does look silly doing it on the street.
how many lawn chairs can fit in the back of your Corvette?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Anybody who thinks this isn't fun just hasn't tried it.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM
GT's 78
Racer

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy
how many lawn chairs can fit in the back of your Corvette?
I don't get it

Get notified of new replies

To Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler

Anybody who thinks this isn't fun just hasn't tried it.
Thats different ,your at the track racing, yes thats fun,but just sitting in a street and power braking just to make your tires smoke just doesnt make good sense. My snow blower can sit and smoke its tires.If i let it sit in front of a wall and put it in drive and smokem.

Last edited by Billysvette; 02-15-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Thats different ,your at the track racing, yes thats fun,but just sitting in a street and power braking just to make your tires smoke just doesnt make good sense. My snow blower can sit and smoke its tires.If i let it sit in front of a wall and put it in drive and smokem.
I knew what you meant. It was just a good excuse for me to post that picture again.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
I knew what you meant. It was just a good excuse for me to post that picture again.

Quick Reply: Not that I plan to do this but....How do you do a burn-out?