C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson Install

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
MalibuVLX
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seriously??? We drive fiberglass cars and pushing the steering shaft in an inch is an issue? Come on. I think that is probably the last thing to be concerned with regarding an accident.
The following 2 users liked this post by MalibuVLX:
73racevette (04-12-2016), carriljc (12-27-2018)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the thread mr. Green. Have my unit lying in the garage. This thread will be invaluable to me. Love the way some enjoy picking the fly specks out of pepper. The comment referring to a one inch decrease in steering column length verses fiberglass bodies was spot on,,,,to this anyone could likely add numerous other safety related hazards in our old cars verses even the cheapest of current autos.
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (12-27-2018)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:32 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

It's about 2.5"
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxrxrnr
Thanks for the thread mr. Green. Have my unit lying in the garage. This thread will be invaluable to me. Love the way some enjoy picking the fly specks out of pepper. The comment referring to a one inch decrease in steering column length verses fiberglass bodies was spot on,,,,to this anyone could likely add numerous other safety related hazards in our old cars verses even the cheapest of current autos.
No problem, I like to give back when I can. This forum has been good to me.

The way I see it, If I want to be safe while driving, I'll be a safe driver and I certainly wouldn't have bought a '76 Corvette! I'll drive my DD when I want to be safe. When I want to have fun, it's the Vette or the Harley.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by MalibuVLX
Seriously??? We drive fiberglass cars and pushing the steering shaft in an inch is an issue? Come on. I think that is probably the last thing to be concerned with regarding an accident.
True.
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (12-27-2018)
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up to OP. I am just about finished with this mod and went the cheaper route. Got a Jeep box and had my brother in law the machinest make the brackets and modify the box housing. Mine was pretty easy as far as mods go. I had the engine out as I am installing an LS. Need to get my hoses finished.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM
Sxrxrnr
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Green
No problem, I like to give back when I can. This forum has been good to me.

The way I see it, If I want to be safe while driving, I'll be a safe driver and I certainly wouldn't have bought a '76 Corvette! I'll drive my DD when I want to be safe. When I want to have fun, it's the Vette or the Harley.
Or even a Honda.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'15,'17,'18,'22-'23

Mr. Green, thanks for the write up , I have a Borgeson box mounted to my 68 almost roller right now and will have the rest of the steering components installed this weekend. I appreciate the point you made on centering the box before installing the pitman arm. I think mine is right but will verify before I torque the arm down. I've had second thoughts about going with this non rack system but based on reading through some posts I think it will be just fine.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sxrxrnr
Or even a Honda.
Since we're sharing...

Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve C.
Mr. Green, thanks for the write up , I have a Borgeson box mounted to my 68 almost roller right now and will have the rest of the steering components installed this weekend. I appreciate the point you made on centering the box before installing the pitman arm. I think mine is right but will verify before I torque the arm down. I've had second thoughts about going with this non rack system but based on reading through some posts I think it will be just fine.
You're welcome, it was my pleasure. Let me know how the install goes and if you have any changes to my instructions.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

I rotated my steering all the way left and right and centered the arm. Double checked and everything seems in order. Since I replaced all the bushings, ball joints and tie rods it should drive like new.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

is that a Jeep box? ^^^
Old 02-21-2013, 11:10 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by qwank
is that a Jeep box? ^^^
Jeep box out of a 99 Gran Cherokee. Good write up on this mod.http://www.vettemod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1098
Old 02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
peterbuchberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MalibuVLX

My install of the Borgeson unit was piece of cake. Love the results and have recommened it to several who are very satified with outcome as well.
not allways a piece of cake. look at this allignment.
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2013, 05:43 PM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peterbuchberg
not allways a piece of cake. look at this allignment.
If you loosen your mounting bolts can you get enough to align? There was enough slop in the holes and I had to also grind a notch on the back side of the brackets to get it to fit and line up. I am guessing there is some weld tolerance on where the motor mount is welded to frame rail at the factory. Not sure on the Borgeson kit but my brackets bolt onto the box so I lined the bracket up to the rail bolts with out the box at first. Then grind to fit.

Last edited by donnie1956; 02-21-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

I finally started mine up yesterday to bleed the system. No leaks
Old 02-22-2013, 01:33 AM
peterbuchberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by donnie1956
If you loosen your mounting bolts can you get enough to align? There was enough slop in the holes and I had to also grind a notch on the back side of the brackets to get it to fit and line up. I am guessing there is some weld tolerance on where the motor mount is welded to frame rail at the factory. Not sure on the Borgeson kit but my brackets bolt onto the box so I lined the bracket up to the rail bolts with out the box at first. Then grind to fit.
I have tried every thing to make this work, with no luck. I called Borgeson and they said, that they had never seen this on a corvette. They said it maybe was a peculiarity of the frame or the column.Not much help from them, they just told me to buy a u-joint. Iam sure it will work but it dosent explain what went wrong. I think the bracket is welded to the box in a wrong position.

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson Install

Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've nearly completed my borgeson install. The install itself was not very difficult. I'm also rebuilding front suspension at the same time so the overall project was a bit more time consuming. Cant wait to give her a drive and "feel" the difference in steering response. Also wont miss the leaks from the power steering control valve and ram.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by peterbuchberg
I have tried every thing to make this work, with no luck. I called Borgeson and they said, that they had never seen this on a corvette. They said it maybe was a peculiarity of the frame or the column.Not much help from them, they just told me to buy a u-joint. Iam sure it will work but it dosent explain what went wrong. I think the bracket is welded to the box in a wrong position.
What about asking Borgeson for an exchange. It could be a misalignment of your frame or steering mount but it could also be their steering box.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Great Job. One thought... I noticed in the pic below that one of the hoses is resting on top of the borg box. I ended up with something similar, so I went to local auto parts store and picked up some radiator hose that is large enough in diameter to wrap around the hose that is touching the box. Don't want a hose failure due to rubbing. Just a thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borgeson Install