C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross fire VS tuned port [READ THIS]

Old 02-10-2013, 01:54 PM
lance m p
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross fire VS tuned port [READ THIS]

OK not trying to KNOCK ANYONE here JUST trying to give some prespectives on performance vs $$$$$$$$$!!!!! I have Sooooo MUCH info on these cars that I had to search to find the info to post CORRECT and HONEST numbers. On my crossfire build I used as a base the june 1997 Vette mag. issue covering a crossfire build WITH CORRECT #'s, however I took mine a lil farther [hotter cam] more port work on the heads I used, and some minor other changes to get the power levels I DID get.[ I AM getting my tb's bored to 51mm and going to the 80lb/hr inj's. Because my engine has a lil more in it I could'nt use any more than 15-16psi w/ the stock inj's BEFORE it started to lean out above 4000rpm's fp alone CAN NOT supply ENOUGH fuel past a certain point! I tried 18psi TOO LEAN had to back DOWN to about 15psi.] That 1984 crossfire vette HAS ran a best of *12.76 @ 109.9mph [w/3.73 rear gear & R4-700] in the 1/4!!! *USING THE STOCK INTAKE [ported]!!!!! using the STOCK block and HEADS [mild porting]with STOCK rods, 355cid!!!!................. OK NOW in comparision a 1982 vette w/$$$$$$$$$$ spent!!!!!!! tuned port system, 418cid block ,special off-set ground crank, F.I.R.S.T. TPI system this car has soooooo MUCH MONEY DUMPED IN IT the man has to be a millionaire??????? solid roller cam, lifters,etc,etc.etc Richmond Gear 6 speed w/ OD, HIGH $$$$$$ rear end w/3.55 rear gear to date best time IS -*12.85 @ 111mph in the 1/4!!!! [due the math]To each there own! But I'm not that rich!!! Something to THINK about BEFORE you SAY/ NO/CAN'T or B.S.!!!!!!! RESREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and get the COMBINATION RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Sometimes combinations don't work out. I've seen little 350ci kickass on 427 because of 50 different factors. Everything from timing curves to head gasket thickness!

It's very hard to draw a direct comparison
Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

yes do your resreach.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 PM
lance m p
Racer

Default Exactly!!!!

Originally Posted by hugie82
Sometimes combinations don't work out. I've seen little 350ci kickass on 427 because of 50 different factors. Everything from timing curves to head gasket thickness!

My only point in posting that is................GETTING THE RIGHT COMBINATION....BEFORE! you just start changing parts....and expecting HUGE gains, I'm not against ANY combination or intake system, just do your research FIRST!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM
lance m p
Racer

Default Btw

Originally Posted by hugie82

The guy [I won't mention his name cas I don't wanna **** him off] W/ the 418cid tuned port / a gazillion $$$$$$$$$$ in it, he is very knowledgeable, he not only drag races his car he also road races it also, he surprise's many unsuspecting Porches and Ferrari's at the road courses, he's done total front and rear suspension changes and modifications also. Exploding MANY parts in the proccess!!!! Deeeeep pockets. The top-end on his car is reported to be above 170mph? On that I can't comment. 1982 collectors edition.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

What is your point behind this rant? Your point is that sometimes people build crappy combo's even when they have money or maybe your point is that some people don't know how to run a 6-speed down the strip?

A properly build and tuned 416 solid roller cammed engine will walk all over a mostly stock 350. The big standout problem I see with the combination you listed is that a TPI simply doesn't belong on a 416cu-in engine, no matter what changes were done to the TPI system to try and make it flow.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Learning_Curve
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

The manifold in question shares no parts with a stock tpi. Althought it may still have too long of runners for maximum horespower, it may work well for the roadracing.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:48 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

this would make more ...sense, without the b.s. about another members mods and you only posted your own ..with photo's of them and of the time slips...this is tech. not rant
Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default It was NOT intended to be a RANT!

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
What is your point behind this rant? Your point is that sometimes people build crappy combo's even when they have money or maybe your point is that some people don't know how to run a 6-speed down the strip?

A properly build and tuned 416 solid roller cammed engine will walk all over a mostly stock 350. The big standout problem I see with the combination you listed is that a TPI simply doesn't belong on a 416cu-in engine, no matter what changes were done to the TPI system to try and make it flow.
Yes it SHOULD, I ONLY posted THAT for people scrapping the CF to a TP. Do your resreach FIRST and then DECIDE what you want. I sure as heck WASN'T trying to start an arguement? Hope you have a good day.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Somethings says the FIRST car had a real soft 60 hes making good power by his trap speed. Glad youre happy with the crossfire.

porting a FIRST this coming week, igoal is 11s on a mild 383 C4
Old 02-11-2013, 10:45 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default Dam!!!

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
this would make more ...sense, without the b.s. about another members mods and you only posted your own ..with photo's of them and of the time slips...this is tech. not rant
DAM I'm going to quit posting! my intent was for people that MAYBE where considering changing to the TP INSTEAD of working w/ the crossfire a lttle bit [ AND COMPLETLY UNDERSTANDING HOW THEY WORK] It would'nt care TO me if ya put a 12V-71 twin-turbo and supercharged 2 stroke Detroit Diesel in YOUR vette!. have a good day! BTW no B.S. in that POST! Just some #'s I had and TRYING to share WITHOUT a bunch of NEGATIVE feed back??BTW the guy IS NOT a member on this site. grumpy!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default Yes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Somethings says the FIRST car had a real soft 60 hes making good power by his trap speed. Glad youre happy with the crossfire.

porting a FIRST this coming week, igoal is 11s on a mild 383 C4
By his trap speed HE IS making good power! I wasn't trying to sound like a RANT! [and a soft 60 ft time] Just TRYING to give some poeple some things to think about-thats it! And GOOD LUCK w/ you're 383 nice and sneaky 11's is doable! dang sure not RANTING! Its all about the RIGHT COMBINATION.........right?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default Good post

Originally Posted by Learning_Curve
The manifold in question shares no parts with a stock tpi. Althought it may still have too long of runners for maximum horespower, it may work well for the roadracing.
Showing the different port size between the STOCK tp and the F.I.R.S.T system SINCE I have neither I THINK the F.I.R.S.T system also has longer runners also.......right?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default Also

You need #'s???????? look at the 06/1997 issue of Vette magazine! I PROMISE YOU I WILL POST my time slips AND chassis DYNO #'s when I get EVERYTHING back together!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default Not a stock tpi unit!

Originally Posted by lionelhutz

A F.I.R.S.T. TPI-UNIT/aftermarket. Not stock.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default Btw

NOT intended to be a RANT!!!! This is tech....right? Well THATS TECH! I'm DAM sure not a B.S.er!!! just SOME-THINGS TO THINK ABOUT.......PERIOD!
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
lance m p
Racer

Default You also need to RE-READ the org. post!

Those #'s ARE NOT FROM MY CAR my car is a 1982 w/ the Crossfire [same thing] That car is a C-4 1984! I just RESEARCHED that build and applied it TO MY CAR w/some other modifications ABOVE what the 84 car has. That was printed in 1997 things have changed ie; more technology and MORE information ........now.

Get notified of new replies

To Cross fire VS tuned port [READ THIS]

Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Did someone ask a question about this or are you just bragging about how fast your car is?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by lance m p
A F.I.R.S.T. TPI-UNIT/aftermarket. Not stock.
Doesn't really matter. I would expect a high dollar built solid cammed 418 to be shifting in the 7k rpm range on the strip. That is converted single plane manifold territory.

At any rate, the point still stands. A properly build and tuned 418 would walk all over your mostly stock 350 cross fire build.

I almost get it now. You found a 15 year old magazine article that shows how a very optimized cross fire can run a decent time at the strip and decided to post about how you're using it as a basis for your build. I'm not sure why you have to rant about it though.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:18 PM
lance m p
Racer

Default NO not BRAGGING on my car!

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Did someone ask a question about this or are you just bragging about how fast your car is?
I'm into ANYTHING that goes FAST!!!! Please re-read the org. post ok? The only POINT in posting that was POSSIBILITIES of what a Crossfire car CAN do. Vette magazine WILL NOT print ANYTHING about a featured car WITHOUT the time-slips and or dyno results on the car's they feature TO PROVE IT. BTW the 84 car did get those #'s with slicks at the track. and the R4 700 was re-built using STRONGER internal parts. and I did not mention the mildly ported heads had 2.02/1.70 valves in them. No NITROUS or OTHER power adders. Naturally-Aspirated.Definitely NOT bragging on my car. Its just an old vette, MY car has yet to be proven at the track-not completly back together [replacing ALL bushings in suspension and body before I put the engine BACK IN [engines done]. However I DO expect similar results in POWER, I have a race car [Turbo Buick} so I'm not trying to make my Vette a full on race car. I doubt I'll change my rear gear [LOSE MPG]for ME I just want a decent powered Vette I can drive any where. My car is a 82 same engine and transmission as the 84. Because I DOUBT I will change the rear gear I DON'T expect more than mid-high 13's from my car at the track, I WILL use a pair of BF/Goodrich drag radials on the rear [already have them ,I used on my T/Buick]WHEN I do take it to the track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cross fire VS tuned port [READ THIS]