C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 lt1 fan belts

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:45 PM
garyguinn
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Default 70 lt1 fan belts

Hi,
on my 70 Lt-1..
have two fan belts..
one from crank to water pump

one from crank/waterpump/alternator...

the crank to water pump belt is way loose...

can't I just remove the crank to water pump belt? It seems redundant..
Have'nt check my AIM ..its at home..
thanks
Gary
Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

My car is a bit of a stepchild...300/350 A/C car with a 1970 GM Service Replacement LT-1 engine. So my alternator is high and on the driver's side with the A/C compressor in a simlar location on the passenger's side.

When I got the car, the alternator belt was tight and there was no belt on the A/C. Once I got the car buzzing around town, I could NOT tighten the alternator belt tight enough to get it to stop squealing when I "bark" the throttle or above 4,000 RPM. The fan drag was just too much for the 30-to-45 degrees that the crank/waterpump/alt belt was contacting the water pump pulley. No matter how tight I put the alternator, mind you. And I was pulling it way too tight.

Though my A/C is non-functional, I strapped up the belt. FIXED INSTANTLY. I just needed that much more frictional surface to get everything to pull at the same rate.

Therefore...I think my answer is no. I'm not sure you can just shuttle one of your belts without having problems with the one remaining belt squealing.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Gary,
If Chevrolet didn't believe that belt needed to be there you can bet it wouldn't be.... Chevrolet would save the $ whenever possible.
There was a discussion here recently about how to get that belt in place without stretching it. It sounds like yours may be stretched.
I haven't forgotten your PM...can I call you?
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To 70 lt1 fan belts

Quick Reply: 70 lt1 fan belts