C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Bay Cleaning: Best Method??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 10:11 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Engine Bay Cleaning: Best Method??

So I'm pulling the motor this week and then start the engine bay cleaning. What is the best cleaning method?

Background on my car:
- Body off restoration 5 years ago.
- The engine bay cleanliness is a 3 on a scale of 5
- I have a small oil leak underneath that has spread throughout the bottom of the car (how to best clean)
- My car is on a 4 post lift.
- Frame is in great shape, but paint is very dull...needs refreshed.

I read some where that brake dust cleaner in a spray bottle was a great option???????....or was that brake fluid in a spray bottle?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I use Simple Green or Castrol Super Clean for this task. Just get a cheap plastic tarp protect your concrete floor and throw it away when done. I also have an "El Cheapo" hand held steam cleaner that does a really great job on grease cleanup (originally bought for wallpaper removal.)
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (09-25-2018)
Old 02-13-2013, 06:54 AM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I would use varsol and a paint brush on the oil & greace area's and then spray the whole underhood area with a citrus based cleaner and put the garden hose to it .
Brake cleaner or carb cleaner is too harsh for me .

Bill
Old 02-13-2013, 02:29 PM
7dSHARK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you were joking about the brake fluid in a spray bottle! I don't even like using brake fluid in my brake lines and would'nt if I didn't have to.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi cw,
Since you say that the car was restored just 5 years ago I think I'd begin with the gentlest cleaner that will get the results you're looking for.
If you use something strong that will overpower the grime it may also be hard on the various finishes the restorer used on the frame and running gear.
I think I'd start with diluted Simple Green as listed on the bottle's instructions. You can then increase/decrease the strength once you see what's happening.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

There is a product called Spray Nine, available in gallon jugs. Use a spray bottle. Most gentle degreaser I ever found, both on the paint and your skin.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Spray Nine is great stuff. I use it all the time. You might need to start with varsol if the grease is heavy. I wouldn't get the Spray Nine on the paint though. Its too harsh for that.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the tips. The motor came out tonight.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:19 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet

Spray Nine is great stuff. I use it all the time. You might need to start with varsol if the grease is heavy. I wouldn't get the Spray Nine on the paint though. Its too harsh for that.

I meant the paint on the frame and engine bay. It was recommended and sold to me by a Survivor judge. They also make a marine version, seen it at boating stores.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet

Use it all the time. The heavier the grease, the longer I let it sit.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm working on my engine bay now and have been faced with the same question.

To this end, I recently had to rebuild my 60 gallon air compressor (oil leak in the back and a bad check valve) so I would have ample air available to blow off the cleaning agent I choose to use.

To clean the greasy, nasty, gooey compressor head, I used the Harbor Freight water-based degreaser I use in my parts washer along with a cheap nylon 1" wide paint brush.

WOW! It was staggering how clean the parts came with a good washing with that stuff and a rinse with clear water.

Anyway, that's going to be my strategy here in a few weeks when I (finally) get the wiring and vaccum hoses clear.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Bay Cleaning: Best Method??

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Cleaning: Best Method??