C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maximizer HP Headers / Sidepipes??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM
gbarmore
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Maximizer HP Headers / Sidepipes??

I ordered a set of the OBX Headers / sidepipes back in February of 2012 from an ebay vendor for my 80' Vette and finally got to the install. Long story short, they didn't fit for s**t (your experience may vary).... So they are now out of stock on replacements with no ETA in sight. They offered me the "Maximizer HP" brand instead, which they say is absolutely identical to the OBX, made by OBX, but simply branded Maximizer HP...

Anyone have Maximizer's??? They do look identical to the OBX based on the pictures in the ebay link.... (hopefully they aren't "identical" as I would like them to actually fit)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maximizer-Ex...sories&vxp=mtr

Has anyone seen or installed these?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Can i ask what the fitment issue was ?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM
gbarmore
Pro

There were several issues including the collectors being angled in toward the frame to the point that by the time you got to the exhaust end of the sidepipe, it would have been 3" inside the frame. They also hit my steering box which could have been resolved with a hammer, but the point there is that there was plenty of clearance in other areas to eliminate that issue in production. They also hit the underside of the frame where the pipes cross over from the engine bay to the collector. All of this could have been made to work with a ton of time and effort, but one obstacle could not have been overcome, and that's the bolt holes in the flange, they didn't line up with the holes in the heads. One of them was off by about 3/16" which was too much to ream out to fit because it needed to go toward the pipe which would have left me with no room for the bolt or a way to turn it. Frustrating to say the least. I will say that many members have had good success installing these headers, I guess I just got lucky....
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

That's a collection of issues all adding up to a pain in the donkey .. Sorry to here it .
Old 02-18-2013, 10:54 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

the pictures look identical to the OBX pictures.... but without them on the floor next to each other - it does sound like another lottery run.

I hate it when I hit the crap lottery, but it sounds like they're trying to make it right - so that's a good thing IMO

That is interesting they say no place for an O2 sensor - those look like Hooker sidepipe headers (which I have) and I simply put the O2 sensor in the collector - without any problem
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
gbarmore
Pro

I think they just mean that there is no "provision" for the sensor, meaning that the bung is not pre-installed.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

They might be OK but who knows, it's like the Chinese heads, 10 different names for the same heads, a lot money if they don't fit only thing you have to do is to get them to take them back. If they don't fit, get it in writing they will take them back, you will still have to pay $hipping both ways.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM
gbarmore
Pro

I actually got the vendor to pay return shipping for the set that did not fit correctly, but foolishly I did not send back the sidepipes. Reason being that they were going to send out a replacement set immediately that "were sitting by the desk waiting for my returns". In actuality they weren't sitting there, and now 2 + Months later here I sit having to return the pipes, and no replacement headers in sight. I can see how many projects simply get abandoned out of frustration....
Old 03-05-2013, 11:22 PM
gbarmore
Pro

I finally got my OBX headers and sidepipes returned and received the replacement set of Maximizer HP's. Long story short, the Maximizers fit (my car) much better. I did still have to "massage" a few of the bolt holes in the flange to make them line up, but not that big a deal and definitely not a deal breaker like the alignment of the OBX's. I also had to ding the #1 pipe around the steering box. It did fit without doing that, but was making contact which leaves no room for motor movement. Here are a couple of pics of them installed. After about 3 months of waiting I am finally able to make some progress on my car! I am one happy camper tonight...

Greg
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Thanks for the update....I was eyeing these because the obx headers are out of stock. Since you didn't say, I assume they look exactly like the obx but fit better?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
gbarmore
Pro

Hi blue, my Maximizer headers fit way better. Your experience may vary I suppose depending on your car. They look exactly like the OBX's with the exception that there is a plate welded to the Header that says Maximizer on it. I actually removed it from mine because it was placed right at the corner of the steering box which limited clearance there even more. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these headers again although I did have to do a little dimpling, I guess that is expected nowadays. good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes!!

Greg
Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 PM
DaveD2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximizer headers

I just got a set of these headers off of ebay and the same thing the bolt holes were off on the single pipes. The center two went right in but the front and rear bolts would not go in. If I put the front on the rear wouldn't line up and if I put the rear on the front wouldn't line up. So I had them send me another set, same dam thing. Now Im sitting here with my engine half in needing headers and I'm afraid to order another set after going through two sets already and now finding this thread about the same problem eases my mind a little. I thought I was wrong in some way but now that proves that they are manufacturer defective and the OBX's look exactly the same as the maximizers so I'm skepticle about ordering a set of those now.
I had no other issues with them hitting anywhere but then I don't have my tranny in yet and didn't hook up all the other tubes that came with them.
Any buddy else buy any of these Maximizers lately?

Get notified of new replies

To Maximizer HP Headers / Sidepipes??

Quick Reply: Maximizer HP Headers / Sidepipes??