C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Cylinder help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:43 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition Cylinder help

Hello All,

I recently posted in the general section but have come to a stand still on getting the ignition cylinder out of a 73. I do not have the keys and need to remove it in order to get a key made. I am at the point where I am to depress the tab in the vertical slot (see first picture and second picture is enlargement) and can't seem to understand what I am to depress. The slot had the thin layer of metal which I sliced open. Yet when I insert a small metal screw driver, I cannot feel anything or see anything to depress.
Am i to push straight in? Down (toward bottom of slot) or up (toward top of slot)? Or something else ?

Please help.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe that you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column. The rectangular slot that you are trying to access should be right next to the boss on the right.

Note in this picture of the early and late lock cylinders. Your lock cylinder on the top, has the locking tab fairly close to the key buzzer tab. So the rectangular slot should be fairly close to the key buzzer switch in your picture.

Hope that this helps,
jim
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default direction

Thanks Mr. Jim.

So am I to push in, down or up? Ive tried pushing straight into the slot but I feel nothing move to indicate I am hitting the locking tab. I do notice when looking into the hole that if I pull out on cylinder, there is some slack and I can see space to the left in the slot. Am I to try and pry it out by inserting something in that space?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM
HUSKEE73
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Andy, in regards to the cylinder removal, gently place the screwdriver straight in that slot,there is a small spring loaded tab you will be wanting to push in,(that is on the cylinder)while pulling the cylinder away from column.sometimes it takes a little extra fiddling to get the screwdriver to line up with the tab,if you turn the screwdriver a little bit to the right and then left you can usually catch the tab to press flush with cylinder case which allows it to be removed.hope that helps.and while typing this i see Jim has posted another excellent photo and direction.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default wont give

Well Ive tried to twist, turn and push and nothing moves. I assume the spring or tab is frozen in place as it will not budge. Ive sprayed pb blaster in the hole all to no avail. If I remove entire steering column and take to lock smith, can they make key to fit?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM
HUSKEE73
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Andy, try pushing in on the cylinder assembly from the right to the left,should be a little play in it,as you push down in the slot with screwdriver.this may help align the tab to the screwdriver.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:04 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

My experience is that if you pull out on the key cylinder then use a very small screwdriver to push the tab, then continue to pull the cylinder out works well. The cylinder tab is usually pushed in past the slot, so maybe even use a screwdriver to pry the cylinder away from the column slightly, then press the tab.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default description

Let me ask this. When I look into the slot, I can see that if I pull out on the cylinder, I can see a thin slot to the left of the piece Ive been pushing on. Does the locking tab sit to the left of this? Also, is the locking tab the same size as the slot itself in the above picture I posted?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
I believe that you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column. The rectangular slot that you are trying to access should be right next to the boss on the right.

Note in this picture of the early and late lock cylinders. Your lock cylinder on the top, has the locking tab fairly close to the key buzzer tab. So the rectangular slot should be fairly close to the key buzzer switch in your picture.

Hope that this helps,
jim
Look really close at the top picture that Jim Shea posted. It looks like the slot you are using is the wrong one. From the pic above it looks like it is right next to the boss on the right but the slot you are using looks like it is about 1/4 inch away. It's been a long time since I took mine apart but in your picture it almost looks like the slot you are using goes in at an angle. If I remember correctly, it should go straight in. I also recall having a little trouble doing it the first time but once I figured it out it was easy to do it again.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default slot

The slot in this photo with the red circle is the one I am trying to push in on tab.

Is this the correct slot?

and is this the lock tab I am trying to depress?

Last edited by andycw; 02-24-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

yes and yes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sometimes you have to squirt some penetrating oil in there and then give the tab a little wack with the screwdriver and a hammer.

BTW, Autozone has new cylinders complete with 2 new keys for around 10 bucks.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM
andycw
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default success! sort of

Thanks to all for your help. I was able to remove the cylinder but had to destroy it to do so. I believe I determined why I had difficulty in that the lock key was missing which depresses the wire spring. I looked for it inside the housing but could not find anything resembling it in the picture I posted above. Below is a picture that shows where it is missing as well as how I had to destroy it to get it out. Good news is that I will get a new cylinder from NAPA and lock smith tells me he can make key for door using old code on original cylinder and then make new cylinder fit that key.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Cylinder help

Quick Reply: Ignition Cylinder help