C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 MY(Model Year) problems & possible solutions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:57 AM
JDee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KY_BOB
I know there are plenty of threads about this but I would like a little input from '82 owners. It is a different beast from the other C3's.

First off, I gutted my Cat when the exhaust was off for the fuel tank swap. It changed the sound for sure and sounds a lot better. The catch is that it has some crappy NAPA universal mufflers on it.

I'm either going to put some Magnaflow mufflers on it for sound only, or go true dual.

Any extra power is a nice plus but so is a good deep muscle car sound.

Am I going to get any more power or a better sound by going true duals than just putting some decent mufflers on it? Enough to justify the extra coat of duals? (remember, the cat isn't causing any restriction now)
You will need to cut the crossmenber or do some type of fabrication to put true duals on a 82 Crossfire as the room under is gone. Not much HP at the wheels or torque so dont think it will throw you back... except in the wallet. Also the ECM gets all pissy and may throw a O2 sensor code or some other emmission code and the CEL will display. If you dont' have a Crossfire you have a chance to put duals without code issues. Mufflers: look at the mufflers that are part of the exhaust tips, they may be Magnaflows that make them, but not sure.. saw them in Corvette Central or Corvette America, and Ecklers, as they show them all part of a one unit from the Y pipe in chrome or stainless.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I got a set of true duals for my 82 from Corvette Central. They follow the original routing and have the O2 sensor in the stock location. If you do true duals with headers you will want to get a heated O2 sensor. Look at the first post in this thread for the part number.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawmain
I got a set of true duals for my 82 from Corvette Central. They follow the original routing and have the O2 sensor in the stock location. If you do true duals with headers you will want to get a heated O2 sensor. Look at the first post in this thread for the part number.

I also have a 2 in/2 out catalytic converter installed so a catalytic converter can be used with the dual exhaust. The heated O2 can help out...that is for sure.

DUB
Old 08-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Okay, here's one I can't find. On the driver's side behind the louvered vent in the fender there is a grounding spot. There are three ground wires that terminate to the frame. One is the resume solenoid (cruise control). What are the other two? I looked at my wiring diagram and I just cannot find where those two grounds come from. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Okay, here's one I can't find. On the driver's side behind the louvered vent in the fender there is a grounding spot. There are three ground wires that terminate to the frame. One is the resume solenoid (cruise control). What are the other two? I looked at my wiring diagram and I just cannot find where those two grounds come from. Thanks in advance!
One may be the ground strap that joins the rocker channel to the frame.

If you look in your manual....in the electrical section for the cruise control....and you find that ground wire and its location letter/number will be given...such as G201 for example....then you go through each and every electrical repair schematic...and at the end of it.... they list the 'component locations' and you look for the SAME location number.

DUB
Old 08-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, I don't have the manual yet. The ground strap is there and connected. This is a 22 gauge wire (really thin) and I can't see anything that it used to be connected to. Thanks for the help, I'll see if I can get a manual or look again at the wiring diagram I got from a member here that sends them out free.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Get yourself a factory manual. It will be worth it.

DUB
Old 08-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Ordered it today
Old 08-08-2014, 06:47 PM
DUB
Race Director

Ordered it today
MONEY well spent!

DUB
Old 08-09-2014, 02:52 PM
jimbil208
Intermediate

Drawmain'
I checked my 82 collectors edition and I also have 3 wires 1 to the cruise.
MY idea is if it's not giving you a problem don't worry about it, remember too many grounds is much better than not enough especially on a fiberglass car. But maybe if you want to know the quickest way is, take them off 1 at at a time and see what doesn't' work and then record it somewhere.

jimbil208
Old 08-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

One of them is just hanging as it is. I swapped out the washer bottle and that is when I noticed the loose wire. The engine is currently out of the car so testing systems isn't possible right now. If you have anymore information on where those other two wires go, I'd appreciate it, my new manual won't be here until Thursday. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 12:11 AM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JDee
You will need to cut the crossmenber or do some type of fabrication to put true duals on a 82 Crossfire as the room under is gone. Not much HP at the wheels or torque so dont think it will throw you back... except in the wallet. Also the ECM gets all pissy and may throw a O2 sensor code or some other emmission code and the CEL will display. If you dont' have a Crossfire you have a chance to put duals without code issues. Mufflers: look at the mufflers that are part of the exhaust tips, they may be Magnaflows that make them, but not sure.. saw them in Corvette Central or Corvette America, and Ecklers, as they show them all part of a one unit from the Y pipe in chrome or stainless.
I will disagree with you on what you have mentioned in your post. It is not a flame, so don't take it the wrong way......
When I purchased my 82 CFI in March of '12, it had and still has a true dual exhaust system without the cat, and it does have a
"H-pipe". It also has the O2 sensor connected and I don't get any CEL's at all. I have Magnaflows and they sound great. And IMO, they add some HP to the equation. I have now put 52,000 miles on the 82 and it is approaching 120,000 miles. It runs great either from a dead stop or in the top end, it feels like more than 200HP, that is for sure.
So yes, you can run true duals on a CFI, yes you will experience more HP & TQ with the added system. Yes, you can still connect an O2 sensor. No, you won't drive the ECM nuts. No, you don't need to cut the crossmember to install true duals. And no, you won't be sorry that you added such a system. And finally, yes, it will put a big grin on your face, for sure....JMO............................. Tom
Old 08-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

For those looking for the old style long oil filters instead of the short ones we get now, the AC PF 1218 is what you want. The part number for the PF 25 has changed to PF 454 and it is the short filter.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

For those looking for the old style long oil filters instead of the short ones we get now, the AC PF 1218 is what you want. The part number for the PF 25 has changed to PF 454 and it is the short filter.
And the WIX part number 51069.

For those who NEVER want to change their oil filter and are RALLY CONCERNED on filtering their oil...and can see what is being caught in it. Go to Pure Power and check them out. They are very impressive and filter better than the paper element oil filters due to using stainless steel mesh and have magnets in them that can be removed and cleaned.

DUB
Old 08-10-2014, 10:59 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DUB
And the WIX part number 51069.

For those who NEVER want to change their oil filter and are RALLY CONCERNED on filtering their oil...and can see what is being caught in it. Go to Pure Power and check them out. They are very impressive and filter better than the paper element oil filters due to using stainless steel mesh and have magnets in them that can be removed and cleaned.

DUB
Both part #'s added to the "sticky"....thanks...much appreciated
Old 08-13-2014, 02:16 AM
1974CorvetteJimCr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default PurePower Lifetime Oil Filter

Originally Posted by DUB
DUB

I have a PurePower lifetime oil filter on my 1974 and love it!!! I just changed the break-in oil after 500 miles on the new engine and it caught the small metallic particles from the seating of the rings. It is very comforting to be able to see what is happening in the engine. I HIGHLY recommend a PurePower oil filter for any one's Vette.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 1974CorvetteJimCr; 08-13-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: better visual
Old 08-13-2014, 06:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

A perfect example of where a picture is worth a thousand words.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 MY(Model Year) problems & possible solutions.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
Get yourself a factory manual. It will be worth it.

DUB
It really was. Found the wire location in less than 10 minutes, all is re-wired and ready to go. Thanks Dub!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

It really was. Found the wire location in less than 10 minutes, all is re-wired and ready to go. Thanks Dub!
Many people will not invest in the 'tools' to get the job done correctly and sometimes quickly. Your manual will now be one of the BEST tools in helping you out on the car. The next 'may be' an assembly manual.

Glad that you found it and got it repaired.....the manual has already begun 'paying for itself ' in saving you time and aggravation.

DUB
Old 09-09-2014, 12:31 PM
Aldo_45030
Racer

Default Does the 51mm bore throttle body

require ecm changes? I have done some reading and cant find the answer.

Quick Reply: 1982 MY(Model Year) problems & possible solutions.