C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 tri-power numbers matching upgrade cam yes, no, maybe?

Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Rayjohnsons
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 tri-power numbers matching upgrade cam yes, no, maybe?

I have registered for a friend of mine. He has 4 corvettes that he's always upgrading. Trying to get him to communicate with you guys. The first question is should he upgrade the cam in his 68 tri-power. Just bought the car and the intake has been changed to a four barrel however the original came with it. So we will be changing back. He's not happy with the feel or sound of the motor (no side pipes). What is the lift and duration of the stock cam and what would be bigger and better? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The folks in the C3 forum can help you with that, so I'm moving your thread to that forum.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

400hp or435hp?
Old 03-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Rayjohnsons
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

You can check the stock specs on any of the major cam vendors sites. They all make retro grinds to match the original factory specs.

I just went through this process on my '69 L71. How much is your budget? After going to all the trouble, I didn't want to put an obsolete flat tappet cam back in there, and continue dealing with the "what is the best oil to run" question. I went with a hyd roller setup from Chris Straub. My engine is still on the stand, so can't comment on results, but Chris has a great reputation.

Good luck. Ralph
Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Is it the original L68 engine? Does your friend have documentation? Numbers matching means nothing to the more knowledgable members of this forum. If so, then the car should probably be kept as original as possible. No '68 had side exhaust. If he wants to change the cam (or whatever) for more performance, he should be careful not to change anything that cannot be changed back. In other words, don't cut unnecessary metal and don't throw the old parts away. It all depends on how much money is in his wallet. If he owns 4 vettes, sounds like he has a little extra cash to throw around. Modifying the engine so that it puts out a noticable amount of additional power, along with a lopey idle, will turn off a collector type buyer. If he doesn't care about money, then have at it. There will be one less correct car, making the other correct cars remaining more valuable.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 03-04-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 tri-power numbers matching upgrade cam yes, no, maybe?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 tri-power numbers matching upgrade cam yes, no, maybe?