C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake adjustment procedure.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 03:49 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Parking brake adjustment procedure.

Having just replaced all the brakes on the rear Im struggling with the parking brake adjustment.

With the wheels off the car, I have it set so that from locked up ( turning by hand, just the rotor ) with the adjuster, I back it off about 8 clicks.

I then climbed under the car and adjusted the cable till there was no slack and it appeared to just start pulling on the parking brake mechanism.

Wheels back on and the brake isnt even beginning to hold.

Im concerned that the rear cable has jumped out of one of the levers at the rear. It did this once whilst adjusting the cable the 1st time. However, there did seem even pressure whilst pulling the parking brake all the way up.

What do you guys do when you replace the parking brake assemblies?

EDIT. Just watched a youtube vid and the guy adjusted the shoes, then pulled on the cable a few times and the rotor was free again! Adjusted up some more and he was good to go. Was this my mistake, to assume shoes were centered in the drum section?

TIA.

Last edited by jotto; 04-06-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:45 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Read this:
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/1967...brake-rebuild/

Good Luck
Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

I can't believe I missed that! I was using that as a guide.
Will do step 22 and post back results tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jotto
I can't believe I missed that! I was using that as a guide.
Will do step 22 and post back results tomorrow.

Thanks.
So, did that procedure work? I have had trouble getting the e-brake to pass inspection. The best way to do the adjustment is to disconnect the driveshafts to eliminate drag from the drivetrain but that is a lot of work. I have jacked up the half-shafts and found that the e-brake can be tightened a lot more than when the axles are drooping.

My problem is a little unique. With a carb-ed engine the engine will usually bog down or stall in gear with the e-brake on when the clutch is released. With the LS1 the ECU senses a drop in RPM and revs the engine to compensate, overpowering the e-brake.

If I'm allowed to control the car I put it into 3rd gear instead of 1st (same forward movement on the T56) and I can get the engine to stall and the inspector is happy.

Rick B.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Should have posted back. The cable had jumped out of the parking brake lever on the passenger side again. What a pita. Not sure if it's the cheap cable or the cheap parking hardware.

Managed to get the adjustment done but should have replaced the front cable at the same time as the adjuster is near it's furthest point.
As soon as I get the engine running properly I will get out and test them.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake adjustment procedure.

Quick Reply: Parking brake adjustment procedure.