C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Power Valves

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 AM
jtalka
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley Power Valves

Guys;

With your help, I managed to get the secondaries adjusted properly on my 4150... totally smooth acceleration!

Now, another question... Power valves. The ZZ383 creates about 15" Hg at idle, so I'm thinking that the carb should have 7.5: Power Valves front and back.... Is this correct? Also, are there any symptoms if the Power Valves are not properly matched... i.e. like surging or flat spots??

Thanks!

Joel
Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

What PV to run will depend upon when the boosters can pull the fuel in the main metering system. One that opens too late, say a 3.5, will cause a flat spot on throttle transitions. An example is you're on the main metering (fuel going through the jets and out the boosters) and you give it a little more pedal and acceleration sags a wee bit, then picks up. Keep in mind that the PVs do nothing until there is sufficient signal to pull the fuel through the boosters. One that opens too early may be less noticeable. But the symptom from early enrichment can be the same as not enough and that's a flat spot.

You will not get surging with a PV misapplication. Surging is a steady state condition caused by lean main circuit or a lean idle circuit under very light throttle.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
jtalka
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
What PV to run will depend upon when the boosters can pull the fuel in the main metering system. One that opens too late, say a 3.5, will cause a flat spot on throttle transitions. An example is you're on the main metering (fuel going through the jets and out the boosters) and you give it a little more pedal and acceleration sags a wee bit, then picks up. Keep in mind that the PVs do nothing until there is sufficient signal to pull the fuel through the boosters. One that opens too early may be less noticeable. But the symptom from early enrichment can be the same as not enough and that's a flat spot.

You will not get surging with a PV misapplication. Surging is a steady state condition caused by lean main circuit or a lean idle circuit under very light throttle.

Gerry; Makes sense... With a 15" Hg Idle vacuum, should I be looking at 7.5" PVs at least to start, or something even higher than that... say 8.5's ? I'm getting a very slight flat spot during the transition as you described it.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jtalka, I spoke with Holley Tech Dept on my Carb, I'm pulling 8HG on the guage, he said to cut that number in half and go to the next lower PV, which would be a 3.5, it solved my problem.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harris1507
Jtalka, I spoke with Holley Tech Dept on my Carb, I'm pulling 8HG on the guage, he said to cut that number in half and go to the next lower PV, which would be a 3.5, it solved my problem.

What problem did it solve ?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
What problem did it solve ?
I had a flat spot, it would stumble off the line or as soon as I put a load on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley Power Valves

Quick Reply: Holley Power Valves