C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 Wanting to replace he vaccum system for the Wiper Door

Old 04-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Hub454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 Wanting to replace he vaccum system for the Wiper Door

I am putting in a big block with tall valve covers and will have to eliminate my vaccum system for the wiper door on my 68. Has anyone installed an electric actuator for this? I saw years ago a post where someone made a bracket and installed an actuator. Does anyone have plans to build this bracket?
Old 04-13-2013, 03:20 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Couple ways to do it. I used a linear actuator.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...onversion.html

Last edited by Garys 68; 04-13-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Hub454
Advanced

Default Thanks Thats exactly what I was looing for

So you went with the 2" mini actuator? What are the deminsions of the brackets? I want to make sure they will clear my tall valve covers.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

yep 2" actuator.
The assembly sticks out 4 1/2" from the original can mounting surface.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Garys 68
yep 2" actuator.
The assembly sticks out 4 1/2" from the original can mounting surface.
Where did you attach the end of the actuator to? Right to the linkage? It looks like some of your actuator is inside the wiper valley. Any more pics of it? This is next on my list, just did the electric headlight doors.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

There's a 4 piece scissor mechanism in the well. I removed that and connected the actuator directly to the lever on the rod.
The actuator is about 8" long. I clearanced the firewall and bracket so about half the actuator is inside the well.

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Where did you attach the end of the actuator to? Right to the linkage? It looks like some of your actuator is inside the wiper valley. Any more pics of it? This is next on my list, just did the electric headlight doors.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Hub454
Advanced

Thanks Gary I will have to try this.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Stingray-Jer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious why are you having to eliminate the vac system for the wiper door. Is this due to a space issue or lack of vacuum from your engine??
Old 12-20-2014, 08:30 AM
BMENZEL
6th Gear

I finished the install of the wiper door actuator. I used a 2" linear actuator I bought off Ebay for $40.00. I drilled and tapped the end of the aluminum rod for a 5/16 x 18 tpi rh thread to accept a threaded stud that screws into the long factory hex adjustment nut. I cut 2 aluminum angles from Lowes stock and bolted them to the factory bracket the vacuum motor was attached to. The factory rubber bellows even fits over the actuator. For now I am using a separate DPDT momentary contact switch to operate the door. I may add relays etc later to work off the wiper switch. I plan to try to hide more of the actuator in the firewall later on but this mounting is OK for now.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:39 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

More pics please!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hub454
I am putting in a big block with tall valve covers and will have to eliminate my vaccum system for the wiper door on my 68. Has anyone installed an electric actuator for this? I saw years ago a post where someone made a bracket and installed an actuator. Does anyone have plans to build this bracket?
Do you have power brakes? What valve covers? I have Brodix RaceRite heads w/ tall Moroso valve covers and Felpro gaskets on my big block.
The vacuum canister bracket is slotted to raise it up some. I have plenty of room. On the other hand I have power brakes and had to cut and weld a clearance area for valve cover. I can remove this cover very easy.
Have some pics in My Garage if you want to look.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 AM
BMENZEL
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 1427
Do you have power brakes? What valve covers? I have Brodix RaceRite heads w/ tall Moroso valve covers and Felpro gaskets on my big block.
The vacuum canister bracket is slotted to raise it up some. I have plenty of room. On the other hand I have power brakes and had to cut and weld a clearance area for valve cover. I can remove this cover very easy.
Have some pics in My Garage if you want to look.
The Vette is a 72 coupe, 350 with factory AC & power brakes. Regular height small block chromed steel valve covers (low). I used the factory wiper linkage system including the long hex adjustment nut. I drilled and tapped the end of the actuator push rod for a 5/16-18 tpi right hand thread. I cut a piece of all thread about 2 inches long to attach the push rod to the hex adjustment nut. Be careful when drilling the end aluminum push rod to get the hole in the exact center of the end of the rod. I also filed out the metal supports behind the fiberglass firewall to provide clearance for the push rod. I only filed out to match the fiberglass opening. When the actuator rod moves in and out it also moves up and down because of the arc of the lever arm inside the firewall. That was a lot of trial and error. As you can see in the pictures the aluminum angle worked pretty good. Bought it at Lowes in the hardware section. Couple of bucks for a 4 foot long piece. The long bolt is a 1/4 x 3-1/2 hex head and I used a self locking nut. I suggest attaching the angle first to the bracket. Cut the angle oversize to allow for determining where to drill the hole for the mounting bolt and by trial and error determine the final mounting point for the bolt.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 Wanting to replace he vaccum system for the Wiper Door

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 Wanting to replace he vaccum system for the Wiper Door