C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin turbo hood for my 74

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 03:03 AM
shua1269
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin turbo hood for my 74

Hey there, I just got a twin turbo hood for my 74 stingray. I can't figure out how to measure the difference of Carb clearance between this one and the stock hood. it looks to be a little higher than the stock hood. is anyone familiar with this hood and clearances?

Compared to the stock
Old 04-13-2013, 10:43 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 828 Likes on 660 Posts

my 74 came with the same hood already installed... I thought I read somewhere theres and extra 1" 1/2 with this hood...
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 PM
shua1269
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks! I was trying to guess, and I was figuring at least 1". Does yours still have it on? What color is it?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I like it, i am guessing about the same clearance as an L88 hood, but i do not know that spec. Just by the looks i am guessing 1 1/4 "
Old 04-13-2013, 11:36 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by shua1269
Awesome! Thanks! I was trying to guess, and I was figuring at least 1". Does yours still have it on? What color is it?
The hoods installed (it was actually what caught my eye on the craigslist ad when I bought the car....someone had added it along with other old school stuff like the mickey Thompson valve covers and glass t tops a long time and a couple paint jobsago judging by the three layers of paint I found.
The car is half ripped apart right now so I can repaint it and replace the interior and engine... it has a performer intake and edelbrock carb with a thick air cleaner now with no issues and I have an rpm clone intake on the replacement engine which is a bit higher..
one Issue I have is the air intakes on the hood arent cut out but the AC compressor sits literally behind the opening making it useless if I want to run functional air scoops. the AC is actually working since I recharged and sealed it last fall So I want to keep it.
It was originally a "Greenwood turbo" hood so you can just google that for clearence info...I know I did and found it from the greenwood site I think.
you can see its higher when you drive as the hood really blocks some of the view out of the windshield.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 04-13-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Turbo Hoods were avalable with single or twin, low or high rise. Since Yours has white Gel Coat it is probably ACI, and since they are still around ther might have the specs avalable. I'n the Picture I can't guess if its low or high, include a picture from the rear and I will tell you which one it is.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Turbo Hoods were avalable with single or twin, low or high rise. Since Yours has white Gel Coat it is probably ACI, and since they are still around ther might have the specs avalable. I'n the Picture I can't guess if its low or high, include a picture from the rear and I will tell you which one it is.
That I makes sense but this hood is also identical to the ones sold by Greenwood with the "Daytona" body kit...
from the pics you have the "high rise " like mine from what I have seen..
here's a link to the lower rise hood...(change to "xx"s to "tt" to make the link work)
hXXp://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_0812_1978_greenwood_turbo_gt/photo_01.html

Last edited by augiedoggy; 04-13-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
Heres a link to the higher hood.
hXXp://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/Street%20Cars/Daytona/Daytonaabovefrt.jpg
Old 04-15-2013, 02:09 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
Heres a link to the higher hood.
hXXp://www.greenwoodcorvettes.com/Street%20Cars/Daytona/Daytonaabovefrt.jpg
To me these Hoods were known as Greenwood Hoods because I believe it was they who invented them on the Race Track. However I think Ecklers and ACI sold the most along with others.

Get notified of new replies

To twin turbo hood for my 74

Quick Reply: twin turbo hood for my 74