C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reinstalling Factory A/C - '79 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
MD_11
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinstalling Factory A/C - '79 Vette

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a 79 L-82, black with black interior, with about 60k. It's a decent foundation, but could use some TLC. The previous owner was a little bit of a hack, but luckily I think the car was rescued before things got too bad.

The A/C stopped working, and instead of just disconnecting the belt, he decided to take the compressor off the car. Thankfully he left all the lines and other A/C components on the car, so All I need to do is reinstall the compressor and figure out what's wrong with it.

I spent some time going through the box of spare parts he left me in attempts to find the compressor mounting hardware, and all I could find was the Lower/rear mounting bracket that hooks up to a header bolt and the front of the engine. I've been searching around forums and other online sources to try and find all the mounting hardware needed to fully reinstall the compressor, but I'm still a bit confused.

From what I've seen there is at least one other bracket that bolts up top to adjust the angle/belt tension, but I haven't been able to find anything other than the lower bracket online, which I don't need.

My question is: What brackets/nuts & bolts do I need to properly reinstall the compressor? Does anyone know where I can find a parts diagram to reference? Does anyone know the best place to locate the necessary hardware?

Please note: I don't have factory manifolds, I have long tube hooker headers.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort in helping me figure this out!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MD_11
...Does anyone know where I can find a parts diagram to reference?...
The assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows the complete factory AC installation. All the parts, brackets, hose routing, etc.

...Does anyone know the best place to locate the necessary hardware?...
Almost all of it is available through the aftermarket providers.

...I don't have factory manifolds, I have long tube hooker headers...
Bad news. If memory serves, the lower compressor mounting bracket mounts off the stock exhaust manifold. That's why the PO removed the compressor. He/she had to remove the mounting bracket and stock manifolds in order to mount the headers.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
MD_11
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike for the reply.

I found this set on ebay, which may be everything I'm looking for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-A-C-Compressor-Bracket-Set-80-81-/310651588550?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4854470fc6&vxp=mtr&autorefresh=true
I saw someone added a spacer between the bracket and an after market header to take up the space of the original, thicker, manifold.

Thanks for the help, Mike.

Get notified of new replies

To Reinstalling Factory A/C - '79 Vette

Quick Reply: Reinstalling Factory A/C - '79 Vette