C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 AM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Brake Upgrade

HI All,
I have read quite a few posts using the "search" tool on brake upgrades without finding a solid thread that fit my questions. Understanding money is always a consideration in a decision

Here is my situation and questions:
I have upgraded my rear suspension and am working on the front. While dismantling everything (spring, shocks, A Arms, etc) both my calipers started to leak from the pistons.

My current goal is to finish the suspension upgrades myself, have them balanced / adjusted, then drop a 383 crate into the car. Want the car to be safe with 400hp, and handle well with periodic street aggressive driving.

Front suspension includes: 550lb coils (will take 1/2 out), Bilstiens sport shocks, ball joints, bearings, poly bushings, 1 1/8 sway bar, VBP rack & pinion, and 17" C5 wheels and Z rated tires (already have the adapters for the wheels)

Since I am upgrading my suspension and have leaking calipers this may be the time to replace / upgrade the breaks?

My questions are:
1. Can stock breaks effectively and safely handle 400hp? (threads opinions differ on this). If yes, why?
2. If stock calipers can handle the power what are the best rotor options?
3. If I should upgrade what are the current best options?
I have checked out Wilwood, and see that VBP has an option also.
If possible I would prefer to hear from people who have intimate knowledge of best options. Everyone is super helpful here but I do confuse easily ;-)
Old 04-17-2013, 01:48 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DunskisC3
1. Can stock breaks effectively and safely handle 400hp? (threads opinions differ on this). If yes, why?
Easily. Why? Because they are good brakes that were equipped in Corvettes with a lot more than 400 hp.

2. If stock calipers can handle the power what are the best rotor options?
Stock.

3. If I should upgrade what are the current best options?
You don't need to upgrade. Get some new o-ring calipers, Hawk pads, fresh brake fluid and you should be good to go.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:07 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

As above, I have Yellow Stuff pads and fresh fluid with SS piston stock calipers and they are the best brakes i've ever had on a car.

There are lots of other areas on a vette that warrant upgrading, spend your money elsewhere mate.

P.s - and mine's a prop tourer that gets abused.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Unless you are planning on racing your C3, you don't need upgraded brakes. The C3 brakes were and are great brakes, way ahead of their time in the 60's, 70's, 80's and even today. Think about what you have today on the car: 12 inch discs/rotors at all 4 wheels with vented rotors both front and rear, 4 piston fixed racing type calipers at each wheel, and a very large brake pad at each wheel to stop a 3,200 to 3,500 lb car, depending on the year of the C3. Most high performance cars today utilize a dual piston floating caliper (versus the C3 fixed caliper with 2 pistons on EACH side of the brake pad versus usually a just 2 pistons on just one side of the pad in the front and a single piston in the rear on just one side of the pad material). High end cars sometimes have a 4 piston front caliper with a single piston or dual piston rear caliper in the back.

As others have noted, the best upgrade you can make to the C3 is better pad material (Hawk HPS, EBC, Performance Friction Carbon Metallic (which I use) etc), and Stainless steel brake hoses near the caliper for a firmer more consistent brake pedal feel. If the calipers are leaking, the stainless steel sleeved O ring calipers I hear are good although I have had no issues with my regular o ring calipers that have been on the car since 1985 with no issues.

I recently upgraded the brakes on my 94 Mustang GT convertible which is very heavy from 11 inch vented front rotors with a single floating piston caliper and 10 inch floating single piston rear brakes to the Cobra front 13 inch vented slotted rotor with dual piston floating calipers with the same rear system with EBC pads. The stock brakes were scary and now they are acceptable but still not as good as my 78 vettes.

My 10 Z06 with 14 inch drilled rotors and 6 piston fixed calipers and 13 inch rear drilled rotors with 4 piston fixed calipers from the factory are better by a lot than my 78 but the Z06 is really a track car that can be driven on the street.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by jb78L-82; 04-17-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
DunskisC3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,
Thanks so much for the quick concise responses, and recommendations on good pads and SS brake lines (and why SS brake lines are beneficial). Definitely dont want to spend $$'s unless needed!
This was just the information I was looking for.
~Cheers!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

You just need a quality brake pad like the Carbotech 1521 compound.

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
aaroncorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

As said, cheap pads are ****

Last edited by aaroncorvette; 04-18-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DunskisC3
Gents,
Thanks so much for the quick concise responses, and recommendations on good pads and SS brake lines (and why SS brake lines are beneficial). Definitely dont want to spend $$'s unless needed!
!

Then don't bother with the S/S flex lines. Minimal/no benefit on street driven cars.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

boy racer checking in here....

I track my C3,,, and currently using stock SS calipers with hawk pads, slotted rotors, SS flex lines, and Hydroboost assist, and im well into to 500hp range. I have not had the fade out yet at the track... they really do run great.... I was surprised. I am going to upgrade to the willwood calipers, but more for the weight savings than anything else.

one thing you did not list was the booster... the BEST thing I ever did to my C3 brakes was to install a Hydroboost..... my brakes feel and work better on my C3 then they do on our C4, C5 or C5 guldstrand. I would still suggest the SS flex lines, yes it is a minimal difference, but if you are truly going to track you car, every little bit counts.

Last edited by pauldana; 04-17-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:21 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

SS steel flex hoses are really rather inexpensive and they did make a difference in brake feel versus the rubber hoses. I replaced my rubber hoses in the early 90's. The pedal is firmer with better brake modulation feel at high threshold braking. Rubber hoses will expand under brake pressure and were doing so on my car when the OEM hoses were only 12 years old at the time of the change.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Brake Upgrade

Quick Reply: C3 Brake Upgrade