C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmisssion question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 PM
dtianen
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmisssion question

Hope I'm on the right side for this question.. Still looking for my first vette. You all have been great at educating me.Test drove a 1974 L-48 manual transmission all stock yesterday. and have the folllowing question hope I can explain it correctly.
Took it for a "normal" drive shifting through the gears, no problem. Then challenged the tranny a bit. Ran the RPM's up in 2nd to the point that you would shift to third. Instead just took foot off the pedal and decelerated (no braking). The shift **** popped out of second gear into neutral. Did it again, same thing happen. Wondering if it could be, linkage, shift rods or something to else easyto fix orsomething more serious. Could be apotential for me but not sure what may be the cause of this issue.
Many thanks.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:20 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

the two transmission clutches(not engine clutch) are worn out. in this trans, the gears are always meshing. when you shift gears the clutch(looks like a large ring with grooves cut on the inside) slide back and forth and lock the desired gears together. when these grooves are worn out the clutches are forced out of position. the trans is designed so it won't slide out of gear under acceleration, but it will happen when decelerating. it needs a rebuild-do it yourself for $250 or pay a shop $1500.

Quick Reply: Transmisssion question