C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

full manifold vacuum port

Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Default full manifold vacuum port

I want to check the air fuel mixture using a vacuum gague, where do i plug my vacuum gague?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snoopysvet
I want to check the air fuel mixture using a vacuum gague, where do i plug my vacuum gague?
If you have a QJET, look for nipples under the throttle plate on your carb like the one's with yellow arrows pointing to:

On mine, green arrow is ported vacuum since it was later style QJET. Earlier style I heard that port is full time manifold vacuum port.

There should also be another nipple on back of the carb next to brake booster vacuum port.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jackwabbit703
If you have a QJET, look for nipples under the throttle plate on your carb like the one's with yellow arrows pointing to:

On mine, green arrow is ported vacuum since it was later style QJET. Earlier style I heard that port is full time manifold vacuum port.

There should also be another nipple on back of the carb next to brake booster vacuum port.
Thank You
Waskelly Wrabbitt!!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

How to you "set" air/fuel mixture with a vacuum gauge? You can adjust the idle mixture screws for maximum vacuum at idle [assuming that you have set ignition timing in an appropriate manner and made all proper adjustments to the carb and choke system and that idle speed has been set]. But that approach assumes that A/F mixture is optimized by achieving maximum vacuum at idle. Usually, a mechanic will make a final 1/8 turn or 1/4 turn of those mixture screws toward the rich side, just to be sure it will not be running too lean.

There are a number of methods which could be used to set idle mixture. Maximum vacuum is one of them.

There is a manifold vacuum port that comes out the right side of the carb via a tube that sticks out through the choke mechanism. Prior to emissions systems, this was the 'normal' fitting that connected directly to the distributor vacuum can. But, any "manifold" vacuum fitting will work; ported, or timed, vacuum ports will not serve for this purpose.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 05-01-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To full manifold vacuum port

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: full manifold vacuum port