C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loose ends...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:07 AM
arklacat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Default loose ends...

Man, i hesitate to post any pictures of the underside of my car. I fear y'all might make me change my name to bubbacat.

Car's been sitting for about 4 or 5 years, but it's evident that I haven't cared for it like it deserves even before that.

Anyway, I was crawling around underneath yesterday (replacing brake lines) and noticed these things. I looked in the shop manual and the AIM but haven't discovered any answers yet.

What is this plug for? If you can't tell, at some point it was resting on the exhaust and the end of the plug is slightly melted.

This is a shot from the bottom up towards the canister on the driver's side. It is just hanging from two wires. You can see were the plastic is broken off inside the round rubber part.

And on the passenger side is this melted plastic block with two wire running thru it. Both wires are bare on the ends and don't appear to be connected inside the block. The black wire is connected to the side of the trans and the blue goes into the harness. I assuming another disconnected plug that got melted. I also assume from the coolant dripping that I have a problem with either a heater hose or heater core.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Does the plug in the top picture plug into the transmision?
Old 05-03-2013, 03:37 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluedawg
Does the plug in the top picture plug into the transmision?
I'm not where i can look for a couple more days. I didn't see where it went, but i didn't look that hard either. :/

edit:spelling
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

1st pic, trans converter lock up.
2nd pic is washer pump for windows
3rd is not jogging my mind.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:00 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what year is the vette and does it have fuel injection of any kind? Is it an automatic or manual?

In looking at the first picture, it looks like there is an O2 sensor in exhaust pipe.

If the wire leads back to that sensor, AND the car is not fuel injected, could it be someone installed an O2 sensor for A/F ratio tuning?

I don't have an auto, so I don't know what any of those connectors look like, but that connectors design (multiple rubber ribs, etc) looks a bit more modern than what you typically see on a C3.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by calwldlife
1st pic, trans converter lock up.
2nd pic is washer pump for windows
3rd is not jogging my mind.
I think the 3rd is the thermostat switch above the starter the turns on the electric fan at 230*

I think you are correct on 1 and 2
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with silvershark. Did they even have weatherpack connectors on C3's? Looks like a 3 or 4 wire O2 sensor connector.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
I agree with silvershark. Did they even have weatherpack connectors on C3's? Looks like a 3 or 4 wire O2 sensor connector.
My 82 CFI has weatherpack connectors everywhere. That 4 prog plug goes to a 700R4 trans for the lock up converter, speed sensor and brake switch.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:09 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Originally Posted by SLVRSHRK
Just out of curiosity, what year is the vette and does it have fuel injection of any kind? Is it an automatic or manual?

In looking at the first picture, it looks like there is an O2 sensor in exhaust pipe.

If the wire leads back to that sensor, AND the car is not fuel injected, could it be someone installed an O2 sensor for A/F ratio tuning?

I don't have an auto, so I don't know what any of those connectors look like, but that connectors design (multiple rubber ribs, etc) looks a bit more modern than what you typically see on a C3.
sorry, it's an 81 with auto. no fuel injection. I had the exhaust replaced in '99, but i don't remember the guy saying anything about adding anything. I'll try to investigate a little better when I can.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. looks like i've got some reading up to do. I have no idea what a trans converter is, let alone a lockup.

I don't remember my windsheild washer not working. I'm pretty sure I replaced a pump in the resevoir years ago. My intermittents didn't work before that, and then they did.

thanks again.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by geauxcat
sorry, it's an 81 with auto. no fuel injection. I had the exhaust replaced in '99, but i don't remember the guy saying anything about adding anything. I'll try to investigate a little better when I can.
I see you do have an O2 sensor on that side but on my 82 the O2 sensor was the only wire that didn't have a weatherpack plug and it was a single wire.

Your car does have a lock up converter in the trans called a TTC in the manual. I still think that plug is for the trans.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:28 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

3rd pic blue gray is backup light plug, tranny.
seems the tranny has been changed, worked on.

the WW pump looks broken off.
drivers fender by cruise cont and fuel vaper canister.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:36 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Lockup connector
washer pump
fan switch connector

'81s have o2 sensors.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM
arklacat
Instructor

thanks again for the replies.

Originally Posted by calwldlife
3rd pic blue gray is backup light plug, tranny.
seems the tranny has been changed, worked on.

the WW pump looks broken off.
drivers fender by cruise cont and fuel vaper canister.
yeah. I saw someone else post asking about being able to install an insulation something or other without removing the tranny. I couldn't see anything on the topside of my tranny that looked like any kind of insulator. Maybe that's why my tunnel get's so hot.

maybe what i remember being in the washer reservoir wasn't the pump.

thanks.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I must have a bunch of weather packs missing the rubber inserts. I'm sure bubba took them out. Figures. :-)
Old 05-05-2013, 04:58 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Originally Posted by qwank
Lockup connector
assuming this is where it plugs in. But from the looks of the end of the plug I don't think I wanna try to plug it in. I think i'll try to find a new plug and figure how to put it in AFTER (my wife says) the brakes are finished.

washer pump
i think i have replaced this pump before. I think what i was remembering inside the reservoir was the nut and grommet that held the pump to the bottom of the reservoir. I guess i bubba'd it the first time. Another after the brakes project.

Here's another wire I found hangin. I''m assuming it is a ground and should be connected to the back of the alternator. I most likely left it off when I was replacing the water pump.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:42 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're lucky maybe you can stop the coolant leak by tightening the hose clamps.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:14 AM
arklacat
Instructor

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
If you're lucky maybe you can stop the coolant leak by tightening the hose clamps.
fingers x'd
Old 05-06-2013, 01:47 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Seeing the tranny picture, I would definitely agree that it looks to be the destination for your plug. Didn't know about the use of those connectors on our cars. You learn something new everyday

That black wire is a ground wire and should be attached at the Alternator.

Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To loose ends...

Quick Reply: loose ends...