C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where did my oil go??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 PM
tsbrocchi
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where did my oil go??

so I am driving on the highway at a comfortable 60 mph, and I suddenly here a very bad grinding/crunching noise, I pull over and I see some smoke starting to bellow out from the hood. Open it up, its bone dry, I check visually for leaks, I see nothing. I check the oil level, not a drop on the stick? There was no smoke coming out the back, no visual signs of a leak anywhere, the only thing smoking was my Starter motor?!? The car was stopped for 20 minutes, when it was moved there was no signs of a leak on the ground at all? Could it be a blown ring? Head? Seal? Sensor? Would I not see some sign of a leak somewhere?
Old 05-04-2013, 04:18 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by tsbrocchi
so I am driving on the highway at a comfortable 60 mph, and I suddenly here a very bad grinding/crunching noise, I pull over and I see some smoke starting to bellow out from the hood. Open it up, its bone dry, I check visually for leaks, I see nothing. I check the oil level, not a drop on the stick? There was no smoke coming out the back, no visual signs of a leak anywhere, the only thing smoking was my Starter motor?!? The car was stopped for 20 minutes, when it was moved there was no signs of a leak on the ground at all? Could it be a blown ring? Head? Seal? Sensor? Would I not see some sign of a leak somewhere?
Don't want to sound like a smart a**, but is the oil pan drain bolt still in the pan? I remember changing the oil on my HHR SS from a few years ago and forgot to put the bolt back in the pan, needless to say, when I put the new oil in it went right back out on the floor....
What a mess that was?
Now from my experiences, if there were any of the problems from what you mentioned above, you would most likely see a large amount of white smoke from a blown head gasket, come out of the exhaust and more of a blue color smoke if the rings or valve seals were bad. And even if your oil level is low, you would still be able to drive the vehicle, presuming that you have oil pressure, not to say that it would be the best for your motor. But I don't think you would burn it up in that amount of time.
Based on what you said about the smoke from the starter motor, I am again assuming that is where your grinding/crunching noise is coming from. Could be a combo of your starter and starter solenoid gone bad, along with maybe some fusable links and wires that are shot, or even a problem with the flywheel.

On your oil level......when was the last time you either changed or checked the oil, and how many miles have you driven since doing one or the other?

Last edited by 74 LS4-454; 05-04-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:32 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Maybe there isn´t a drop on the stick because you are a quart or 2 down. You have to have some oil or else you would have seized the engine. As for the starter and smoke, a wire probably shorted out and engaged the starter. I have had that happen.

If youhad lost 6 quarts of oil you would have eventually seen something. As for the blown head gasket, you would lose water.

When you get the car home, take out the drain plug and see how much oil comes out. If you started out with no oil you would not have been cruising at 60 for more than a minute or two. Then lift the car up and check the starter wires.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:56 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A leaking manifold gasket can suck up oil like there's no tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:51 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by mrmagrath
A leaking manifold gasket can suck up oil like there's no tomorrow.
But you will see blue smoke. And at 60 he would have a nice cloud behind him.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

the back of the car would probably be coated in oil,if there was a bad leak.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Not necessarily. The 350 in my 64 SS would smoke a little when I first started it and then quit. It was using oil but the engine only had a few thousand miles on it. I figured it was valve seals. The engine was in the car when I bought it, so I didn't know what kind or even if it had valve seals. I pulled the valve cover and the old 462 double hump heads had been machined for seals and screw in studs. The push on seals looked like new. Then I took the intake off and the the intake gaskets were wet with oil about half way up and the ports were also wet with a lot of carbon on the intake valves. The gaskets were some cheap unidentified brand and had shrunk. Put in new gaskets and problem cured.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Bagmup
Instructor

Yeah, i think you're down on oil so it doesn't show on the stick. And your real problem is your starter motor was engaged and spinning at engine speed, which will lunch it pretty quick.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:33 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by v2racing
Not necessarily. The 350 in my 64 SS would smoke a little when I first started it and then quit. It was using oil but the engine only had a few thousand miles on it. I figured it was valve seals. The engine was in the car when I bought it, so I didn't know what kind or even if it had valve seals. I pulled the valve cover and the old 462 double hump heads had been machined for seals and screw in studs. The push on seals looked like new. Then I took the intake off and the the intake gaskets were wet with oil about half way up and the ports were also wet with a lot of carbon on the intake valves. The gaskets were some cheap unidentified brand and had shrunk. Put in new gaskets and problem cured.

I have had that happen. But if he checked his oil once a week like we all do if not more and he discovered all his oil gone he would be pushing some blue smoke.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 PM
tsbrocchi
Cruising

Maybe there isn´t a drop on the stick because you are a quart or 2 down. You have to have some oil or else you would have seized the engine. As for the starter and smoke, a wire probably shorted out and engaged the starter. I have had that happen.

If youhad lost 6 quarts of oil you would have eventually seen something. As for the blown head gasket, you would lose water.

When you get the car home, take out the drain plug and see how much oil comes out. If you started out with no oil you would not have been cruising at 60 for more than a minute or two. Then lift the car up and check the starter wires.
I put 3 qrts back in an it is at the right level now. The motor still turns, I am having it towed to the shop Monday.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 PM
tsbrocchi
Cruising

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
Don't want to sound like a smart a**, but is the oil pan drain bolt still in the pan? I remember changing the oil on my HHR SS from a few years ago and forgot to put the bolt back in the pan, needless to say, when I put the new oil in it went right back out on the floor....
What a mess that was?
Now from my experiences, if there were any of the problems from what you mentioned above, you would most likely see a large amount of white smoke from a blown head gasket, come out of the exhaust and more of a blue color smoke if the rings or valve seals were bad. And even if your oil level is low, you would still be able to drive the vehicle, presuming that you have oil pressure, not to say that it would be the best for your motor. But I don't think you would burn it up in that amount of time.
Based on what you said about the smoke from the starter motor, I am again assuming that is where your grinding/crunching noise is coming from. Could be a combo of your starter and starter solenoid gone bad, along with maybe some fusable links and wires that are shot, or even a problem with the flywheel.

On your oil level......when was the last time you either changed or checked the oil, and how many miles have you driven since doing one or the other?
Haven't touched the oil pan or oil filter. I just got the car about 600 miles ago. Previous owner changed it before storing it.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:40 PM
tsbrocchi
Cruising

Absolutely no smoke, hence the reason I was so baffled by it.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SSROADSTER
I remember changing the oil on my HHR SS from a few years ago and forgot to put the bolt back in the pan, needless to say, when I put the new oil in it went right back out on the floor....
I am happy to see that I am not the only person who has done this same exact thing!

Scott
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 PM
tsbrocchi
Cruising

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
the back of the car would probably be coated in oil,if there was a bad leak.
Back of the car is spotless
Old 05-04-2013, 11:54 PM
74 LS4-454
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Haven't touched the oil pan or oil filter. I just got the car about 600 miles ago. Previous owner changed it before storing it.
when you bought the Vette, did you check the oil and other levels as well? or did you just assume the levels on everything were fill?

Originally Posted by scottyp99
I am happy to see that I am not the only person who has done this same exact thing!

Scott
it's a small world, isn't it??????
I am happy to see that we were on the same page.....
Old 05-05-2013, 10:06 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Does the 73 still have the mechanical oil gauge? Lou.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Manuel Azevedo
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or as dumb as it sounds, did all the oil get put in when the oil was changed?!!

Get notified of new replies

To where did my oil go??

Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM
tsbrocchi
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bagmup
Yeah, i think you're down on oil so it doesn't show on the stick. And your real problem is your starter motor was engaged and spinning at engine speed, which will lunch it pretty quick.
If its just the starter, that's something I can deal with.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Bagmup
Instructor

If its just the starter, that's something I can deal with.
Take the starter off and inspect it. If it's now locked up solid and stinks like burning electrics, get a replacement and try fire that sucker back up.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I put 3 qrts back in an it is at the right level now. The motor still turns, I am having it towed to the shop Monday.
Who/where are you taking you vette to up this way?

Quick Reply: where did my oil go??