C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arrrgggh!!! Blasted Car is Down AGAIN--Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 09:23 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Arrrgggh!!! Blasted Car is Down AGAIN--Timing?

Finally get the '69 running right, took it out, was running fine, then it starts running bad, looses power, idles like crap, knocks and rattles really badly when I try to give it gas, esp. uphill. I thought maybe the distributor wasn't tightened down good enough because it was acting like it was way out of time, but it seems fine and if give it enough throttle to keep the idle up around where it's supposed to be (because it's idling like crap), the timing light shows the timing dead on. Also seems to have developed a knock I can hear pretty plainly at idle somewhere around the #8 cylinder. Arrrggghhh!!!

I'm gonna leave alone for the weekend 'cause I'm starting to hate this car and dig into it again next week and see if I can figure out what's going on now. I've got three theories: 1) timing chain slipped or 2) it's overheating and the gauge in the dash is screwed up and isn't showing the correct temp (though there's nothing else like boiling sounds to make me think it's overheated), 3)something I'm too stupid to think of right now but which has to do with that knock.

This is starting not to be much fun anymore. Time for a beer or two.

JB

[Modified by JB, 7:30 PM 6/21/2002]
Old 06-21-2002, 11:21 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Arrrgggh!!! Blasted Car is Down AGAIN--Timing? (JB)

Vacuum advance problem, maybe? Or a vacuum leak somewhere.

[Modified by lyonsh, 9:22 PM 6/21/2002]
Old 06-21-2002, 11:27 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Arrrgggh!!! Blasted Car is Down AGAIN--Timing? (lyonsh)

I disconnected the vacuum advance to check the timing & it didn't seem to be running any better. A vacuum leak occured to me, too, & I listened for leaks with a length of gas hose & didn't find anything, but there still might be a leak somewhere, esp. since I removed the manifold & replaced the gaskets last week. Could a vaccum leak cause the knocking and valve rattling?

JB

[Modified by JB, 9:51 PM 6/21/2002]

[Modified by JB, 10:51 PM 6/21/2002]
Old 06-22-2002, 12:25 AM
Stevo81
Pro

Sounds like it might be time for a beer or THREE...were you talking about total timing? it sounds like a vacuum but I hate things that go clunkclunk...
Please let the forum know...
Old 06-22-2002, 12:59 AM
JB
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Arrrgggh!!! Blasted Car is Down AGAIN--Timing? (Stevo)

Sounds like it might be time for a beer or THREE...were you talking about total timing? it sounds like a vacuum but I hate things that go clunkclunk...
Please let the forum know...
No, just timing at idle. I figured something this drastic (I barely go it back home), if if were timing it would show up at idle. Are you thinking something might be screwy with the mechanical advance?

Know what you mean--clunk clunk scares the crap out of me. Though it's more like thumpthumpthump and kinda sounds like its valve related (I used a half-inch dowel and listened around and the thumping is most pronounced around the valves of the #8 cylinder--gonna pull the valve cover monday. Kinda sick of it right now.)

JB
Old 06-22-2002, 01:15 AM
Stevo81
Pro

I was just fishing with the timing question...I think you gotta go with the clunk...but would the loss of a cylinder make it as bad as it sounds? Maybe check compression in #8 before you tear into it? Like grampa taught me...gotta be compression, fuel/air or spark...does the clunk sound like a valve type noise? Or maybe a bigger noise that could bring the engine to that sad level...I hope I don't lose sleep over this... :smash:
Old 06-22-2002, 01:49 PM
hudman
Racer

JB-

I feel your pain. We seem to be experiencing the same level of frustration with our big blocks. Did you get the pics I sent. Maybe I had the wrong email?? If you did not get them, IM me your email address again and I will try again.

My car went down yesterday. Mid week it developed a pull when you put on the brakes. I am not as mechanically inclined as you, but I had read enough on the forum to think that maybe it was the flexible brake line going out or a calipre. What I did not know is that once it starts, it goes away quick. I thought I would have a few miles.

Anyway yesterday, the calipre got worse and worse and failed to release. I really worked my front right pad over getting to the shop. Sure enough, needed new lines.

Between fuel and a weekly trip to the mechanic, this hobby is killing me!
Old 06-23-2002, 11:30 PM
hudman
Racer

JB-

I feel your pain. We seem to be experiencing the same level of frustration with our big blocks. Did you get the pics I sent. Maybe I had the wrong email?? If you did not get them, IM me your email address again and I will try again.

My car went down yesterday. Mid week it developed a pull when you put on the brakes. I am not as mechanically inclined as you, but I had read enough on the forum to think that maybe it was the flexible brake line going out or a calipre. What I did not know is that once it starts, it goes away quick. I thought I would have a few miles.

Anyway yesterday, the calipre got worse and worse and failed to release. I really worked my front right pad over getting to the shop. Sure enough, needed new lines.

Between fuel and a weekly trip to the mechanic, this hobby is killing me!
Old 06-24-2002, 12:03 AM
hudman
Racer

Default Re: Arrrgggh!!! Blasted Car is Down AGAIN--Timing? (hudman)

I do not why this was posted twice!!!

Sorry-

Get notified of new replies

To Arrrgggh!!! Blasted Car is Down AGAIN--Timing?

Quick Reply: Arrrgggh!!! Blasted Car is Down AGAIN--Timing?