C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front blackouts don't fit!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 76Rat

Install an electric water pump and an adjustable sensor to kick the water pump on when needed or at the temp you want. This way you have less resistance from the water pump.
Turn the pump off when racing. No resistance.

Would need an electric fan and a better alternator as well. Rather keep it mech fan/pump for now.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:16 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Are you serious? This is probably the dumbest thing I've read on this forum in quite awhile.

Ideally the temp should be 180, the fact that I underdrove my pump/fan further and it's still 160 shows that my cooling system is more than needed and is a waste. Of either power to cool more than needed or more weight from coolant/radiator. FYI it's 160 in the day as well, with a lean tune while ragging on it.

As for the rude part of your statement, I am getting tired of explaining myself to simple minded people who don't understand not everyone wants the same as you. My car is too go out and drag race with at night. Or maybe you didn't understand my statement. I can either make more heat, for example raise the compression or I can reduce the cooling while freeing up power. Now the blackouts don't free up power, but they do make the car a tad more aero and how ever small that is. It is a chepa mod and I like the looks as well. And after reading another members post of how he blocked off the grills and the temp went up about 10 degs, I think I am safe if the car ran 170...... Making the car run hotter by adding resistance and putting a larger t-stat in would be easy but doesn't make the car faster.

I'll post a pic later tonight.

Also it's an ebay radiator for the person who asked, I made a neg post in the seller section because I had to mod it to work. I assume my low low compression and roller everything is why the car runs cooler than most.

Last edited by BOOT77; 09-11-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: dirrrrrrr
Old 09-11-2013, 08:26 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Ok here yah go........

I think I had to trim one more than the other, I just peeled the molding back and used some emblem glue I had to reattach it when I was done. I trimed and test fit a few times, the blackout fits agaisnt the grill, pretty good. At the plate is the tight spot and could maybe of used a lil more triming, but I was happy with the fit. Used an oscillating saw and it kinda melted but the slag snapped off and the molding covers the ruff edge. Get the side by the plate straight and the top won't be noticed, long as it fits. If you look at the last pic you can see how the top slants down from where trimmed. Also I had to shorten the molding some and I stretched it tight as I rewrapped it.

Tabs stuck to the blackouts instead of car and holes drilled in them for zip ties.

Last edited by BOOT77; 09-11-2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: dirrrrrrrrr
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

I just put them in no zip ties are on atm.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:46 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Was just thinking, if I had cut the tabs in half I could have had four mounting points through the grill.

Last edited by BOOT77; 09-11-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BOOT77
Ideally the temp should be 180, the fact that I underdrove my pump/fan further and it's still 160 shows that my cooling system is more than needed and is a waste. Of either power to cool more than needed or more weight from coolant/radiator. FYI it's 160 in the day as well, with a lean tune while ragging on it.

As for the rude part of your statement, I am getting tired of explaining myself to simple minded people who don't understand not everyone wants the same as you. My car is too go out and drag race with at night. Or maybe you didn't understand my statement. I can either make more heat, for example raise the compression or I can reduce the cooling while freeing up power. Now the blackouts don't free up power, but they do make the car a tad more aero and how ever small that is. It is a chepa mod and I like the looks as well. And after reading another members post of how he blocked off the grills and the temp went up about 10 degs, I think I am safe if the car ran 170...... Making the car run hotter by adding resistance and putting a larger t-stat in would be easy but doesn't make the car faster.
What you want to do won't make the car faster either.

The reason you have to explain yourself is because there's no logic behind what you're attempting to do. You obviously have no clue as to the purpose of a thermostat and how a cooling system works.

What you're attempting to do is going to have an insignificant effect on performance that won't even be measurable.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:03 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

I'm not gonna argue with some moron who doesn't understand reducing wasited energy/resisitance = more power. It has made the car faster, underdrive pulleys are proven and don't even need to be argued! As long as your car doesn't overheat underdrive pulleys are a good way to free up a few hp.

You are a close minded FOOL!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

I'm not gonna argue with some moron who doesn't understand reducing wasited energy/resisitance = more power. It has made the car faster, underdrive pulleys are proven and don't even need to be argued! As long as your car doesn't overheat underdrive pulleys are a good way to free up a few hp.

You are a close minded FOOL!
You're talking about saving wasted energy from having a thermostat partially closed, not underdrive pulleys. Try and keep up.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:24 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

I'm saying when the t-stat stays open(like when the car runs 170) I know I've reduced the over cooling enough and also reduced the ressitance on the t-stat. FYI you know they make hi-flow t-stats right? Whether it's fuel/air, exhaust, oil or COOLANT a pumping loss is a loss.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:57 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

I'm saying when the t-stat stays open(like when the car runs 170) I know I've reduced the over cooling enough and also reduced the ressitance on the t-stat. FYI you know they make hi-flow t-stats right? Whether it's fuel/air, exhaust, oil or COOLANT a pumping loss is a loss.
You believe whatever you want, but saving 1/1000 of a horsepower is not worth whatever effort it would take. There's other things you can do that will give thousands of times more bang for the buck.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:47 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

in racing, no amount of weight loss is not worth the effort.
and no amount of horsepower is insignificant. horsepower stacks really well a 1/2 hp here and there ads up to 10 quickly.

the weight thing applies to people too.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:20 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
in racing, no amount of weight loss is not worth the effort.
and no amount of horsepower is insignificant. horsepower stacks really well a 1/2 hp here and there ads up to 10 quickly.

the weight thing applies to people too.
Exactly and everytime I win a race by a little I think good thing I put in that extra effort. Heck the same night I swapped out that next step underdrive pulley I beat a guy by my front wheelwell up.

Quick Reply: Front blackouts don't fit!