C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC POA Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 AM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default AC POA Removal

Hi guys I am taking a break on the gas tank (removed that today), engine rebuild, and brake job to get a head start on the AC. Need to replace my hoses as they are the originals and are showing lots of wear. While the engine is out getting rebuilt I thought I would take the POA valve out and get it re-calibrated for 134A which I was running. I have been soaking these fittings for a week in PB blaster but because there was paint in the threads I had to resort to using aircraft stripper to remove the paint then go at it again with oil. Bot everything loose but the very top fitting.

Three questions (Please refer to picture):

1. How does the top of the POA hex fitted? Does that hex nut turn free of the large solid line?

2. Kind of the same question. See the lower picture? The small top hex fitting the one in question. On my unit I was able to break that loose but its solid to the thin line and I can not turn it. The line is thin and I don't want to break it. Should that not turn free of the small line?

3. Last question I did break the line to the top round fitting of the expansion value which can be seen if you look closely. This is the line that snakes its way up. How can I fix this? I know how to solder if that's the answer but I have a feeling its more like a braze or replacement.

My car:

Off the net:

Last edited by 71LS5; 05-12-2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 AM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Looks like question 3 is that the nut on the expansion valve should spin free which makes sense. Its just still frozen on mine. Found the below picture which if you look closely shows that the line and nut are not the same assembly which totally makes sense.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:35 AM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Really need to just figure out question one above. I can have Classic Auto Air help me out rebuilding the expansion valve.

Last edited by 71LS5; 05-12-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:24 AM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

the nut should spin on the solid line,its in a horrible spot to get a wrench on....try a crows foot and an extension from the bottom,wiggle a wrench in from the top to hold the poa.
you can get an expansion valve from discount or autozone or someplace like that,they are pretty cheap.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Yes, hex nut spins on the hard line.

The TXV line contains some gas/fluid I can't remember the name of which it uses to sense the temp. So you can either have to get your old one professionally rebuilt, or get a replacement at any auto parts store. They're inexpensive.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:16 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man replacing the POA valve was the worst PITA job I've done on my 71. I had my expansion tank out too. I used a crows foot for the top nut and held the body with crescent from the side.

When installing it, I put the lower hose on on the POA valve before putting back in the car.

Good luck.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Thanks everybody looks like I am in good company and can share the pain a little lol. Restoring this car is a very trying, costly, and takes a lot of blood sweat and tears......
Old 05-12-2013, 12:04 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

as much of a pain as it is to repair/replace this stuff........it sure is nice cruising down the road in air conditioned comfort on a hot day,if mine did not have working a/c i would park it for the summer...........guess i'm getting old.
good luck ,its worth all the agravation

Get notified of new replies

To AC POA Removal

Quick Reply: AC POA Removal