C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holley street avenger carb question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:47 AM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default holley street avenger carb question

recently switched this carb onto the car.. tis a "68" 327.

randomly, my throttle stuck while i was trying to get everything tuned correctly. I went to the carb and removed the top of the air filter (this is not the 14" air filter, it is 9") and checked for proper movement of all the parts. with the top off, everything moves correct. The carb did not stick into WOT.. I rev'd it several times to verify (wife in car, me watching carb).

Finally, satisfied that the motor would not stick in WOT again, i put the lid back on and had my wife give her one more throttle blip to make sure all is well. Ill be a monkeys uncle if it didnt stick in WOT and back fire twice like a bastard once the key was turned to off.. I was still watching and did see proper travel of all visible parts. nothing seemed stuck open on the outside, they all went back to "idle" position.

This filter (9" wide by 2" tall from bottom of base to top of lid) worked decent with the q-jet i am replacing (no i dont want to hear about q-jet repair... i have discussed this with Lars already and seems less likely this would be a decent candidate for repair).

My question comes to this: how would simply placing a lid on the filter create a WOT sticking situation? The car idles fine with the lid on.

Edit: this is sitting on a changeover base.. squarebore vs q-jet.. just in case that has any bearing on things (though i assume not since fine without lid on).

Last edited by joshtried; 05-17-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

The pressure exerted downward from the top through the filter to the outer edges of the base will bow it down slightly. Do you have the thin gasket between the base and the carb? If so maybe try two. If you can identify the spot where the interference occurs you may be able to recess that spot slightly (small dent).
Old 05-17-2013, 10:31 AM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

i can honestly say the thin gasket was missing during trial. i didnt even notice it off... found it sitting next to the car while cleaning up for the night. never would have considered that. thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 PM
joshtried
Burning Brakes

so, i have tried this cure to no luck. i thought all was well while sitting in the garage. Went to take her for a spin to the end of the street and back, and she tried to take off life a raped ape.. as far as any binding, i have though about this logically and something would have to be binding down at the base of the carb, would it not? the top of the carb simply has the choke, which should not cause the stuck WOT i am experiencing.. whats next?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With a single stock return spring on my '70 there was almost no tension on the pedal. I added a second spring and no more problem...have you tried that?
Old 05-18-2013, 04:51 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Could the choke plate be hitting the bottom of the filter lid at WOT and then sticking? I recently had this happen with a new billet air cleaner lid. It had reinforcement ribs that stuck down below the bottom of the lid and I had to file down two of the ribs to keep the choke plate from hitting.

DC
Old 05-18-2013, 05:08 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Here's what ya do: Take the air cleaner bottom, and smear something all over the bottom of it. Grease, toothpaste, whatever, just make sure it's sticky. Lay a nice thick layer of it on there, and smooth it out with your finger or a paper towel, or a trowel, whatever, just get it nice and smooth. Install air cleaner normally, work throttle, remove air cleaner, and look for witness marks to see where any thing is coming too close to the air cleaner. Let us know what you find out, all this may do is rule out the air cleaner, in which case we'll have to keep investigating.

Also, and this is just my humble opinion, you should give some though to getting rid of that 9" air cleaner, anyway, if it is an option. A 14" air cleaner with a 3" element is about as small as you should go. Again, just my opinion, (unsolicited, at that) it's a free country, you can do whatever you want.

Scott

Get notified of new replies

To holley street avenger carb question

Quick Reply: holley street avenger carb question