C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desprite, show me your PYPES Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 01:05 AM
LS 80Vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Desprite, show me your PYPES Exhaust

I'm Tired of trying to figure this thing out, Please show me some installed pictures,

Thank You
Old 05-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

It took me a minute to figure it out- you mean "desperate", right? Do you have the Pypes 2.5" system with X pipe? If so, I have one installed on my 69 and I could get pics posted by tomorrow if you want. FYI, I've never seen anybody say that it just bolted right up- it requires some cutting and welding to fit properly.

The guy who installed mine fabricates custom exhaust systems among other car building fabrication duties. He ended up making a bunch of "adjustments" to install it. The biggest adjustment was at the X section. He looked at it and told me it was twisted. It looked fine to me but he laid it on his table and it was actually very twisted. He squared it up with a series of cuts and welds. In the end he did a great job, but don't expect it to bolt up for you. Unless you can weld you're better off having a good shop install it. Let me know if you want some pics.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 PM
LS 80Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Les
It took me a minute to figure it out- you mean "desperate", right? Do you have the Pypes 2.5" system with X pipe? If so, I have one installed on my 69 and I could get pics posted by tomorrow if you want. FYI, I've never seen anybody say that it just bolted right up- it requires some cutting and welding to fit properly.

The guy who installed mine fabricates custom exhaust systems among other car building fabrication duties. He ended up making a bunch of "adjustments" to install it. The biggest adjustment was at the X section. He looked at it and told me it was twisted. It looked fine to me but he laid it on his table and it was actually very twisted. He squared it up with a series of cuts and welds. In the end he did a great job, but don't expect it to bolt up for you. Unless you can weld you're better off having a good shop install it. Let me know if you want some pics.
I noticed my X-Pipe is a little twisted, only 1/4" - 1/2"...My biggest problem is where the hangers go at the tranny crossmember, I have a BTO double hump ( tubular ) not the style with the two holes in it.... and it's been a long time since the car has had a under car exhaust on so I forgot where the hangers go... My son knows enough about welding, I'll get him to weld it for me.... Worse case I'll have to take it to a custom place, but I like trying myself first, I like challenges......Pictures would be great if you can
Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

I sent my X pypes system back 3 weeks ago because the X pipe was flattened where the seat belt bolt is and it had a twist. I ordered the Magnaflow X pipe system which costs about $200 more but fits much better and I like the mounting where the X pipe goes through the frame.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:14 PM
LS 80Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gve
I sent my X pypes system back 3 weeks ago because the X pipe was flattened where the seat belt bolt is and it had a twist. I ordered the Magnaflow X pipe system which costs about $200 more but fits much better and I like the mounting where the X pipe goes through the frame.
Too late for me to send it back, I already cut the 2 "S" pipes to match my headers, I wish I would have used my head before the saws-all....
Old 05-26-2013, 11:30 PM
LS 80Vette
Intermediate

I think I need to add about 3" to the mid pipe to extend it out to the side more, in fact I really need to add more pipe to both sides in order to mount the mufflers right. At the moment I have them backwards so they fit ( center pipe in the muffler towards front of the car )... I don't think it really matters, didn't see no arrow on the mufflers... The more I fiddle with it, the more I feel that this system was not made with much thought going into it.. But I'm dedicated now....
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Zoix
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Pype's exhaust.

Hope this helps.

[Collectors]
[x][/IMG]
[Pypes][/IMG]
[Hanger][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 AM
LS 80Vette
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Zoix;1584000445]Hope this helps.

was system also flattened after the X portion in the X-pipe ? Do you think it makes any difference in the performance ?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I can't do any better than the pics that have been posted unless you want to see the area on both sides of the mufflers- let me know. That flat part on the X section is for clearance for the E brake cable. I wondered about it too but my car ran 11.37 @ 119.7 MPH through this system. This was better than the previous 11.75 @ 115 MPH through a non-mandrel 2.5" system. Colder air and a better ignition curve helped that improvement but the exhaust played a big role. I wouldn't worry about that flat spot.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:00 PM
LS 80Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Les
I can't do any better than the pics that have been posted unless you want to see the area on both sides of the mufflers- let me know. That flat part on the X section is for clearance for the E brake cable. I wondered about it too but my car ran 11.37 @ 119.7 MPH through this system. This was better than the previous 11.75 @ 115 MPH through a non-mandrel 2.5" system. Colder air and a better ignition curve helped that improvement but the exhaust played a big role. I wouldn't worry about that flat spot.
Helps a lot, thank you.... I wrote Pypes about the X-pipe, I told them how disappointed in their product I was... Hopefully they will offer to send me an X-pipe that is level, if not I will just heat it up and try to straighten it myself.....
Old 05-27-2013, 03:12 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I had too hack and weld my Pypes up coming off the manifold on my 82 with the stainless steel manifolds. It was a PITA and that was after the sent me another head pipe that still was too short but the rest of the system fit well from the trans crossmember back!
Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM
LS 80Vette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hugie82
I had too hack and weld my Pypes up coming off the manifold on my 82 with the stainless steel manifolds. It was a PITA and that was after the sent me another head pipe that still was too short but the rest of the system fit well from the trans crossmember back!
You would think after many complaints they must have gotten ( my guess ), they would try to make their product better....I wish I would have asked about this system earlier, The few comments in passing, just said that I'll love the system... Live and learn
Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The flattened portion is so that it doesn't interfere with the parking brake cable.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

I returned my pypes system and got the magnaflow system and their X pipe isn't flattened and it fits. If pypes would move their X pipe back a couple inches the bolts wouldn't be a problem because they would be where the X pipe starts to narrow. Instead of spending time to engineer it to fit they flatten it like Bubba would, why would you make a mandrel bent system and then crimp the pipe.

Get notified of new replies

To Desprite, show me your PYPES Exhaust

Quick Reply: Desprite, show me your PYPES Exhaust