C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans crossmember switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default Trans crossmember switch

I want to switch out the crossmember in my '80 to an early model that has the holes for dual exhaust. As I have to remove my exhaust system to rebuild my rear drivetrain and suspension, I figure that now is the time to do it right. I currently have duals running down the passenger side where the catcon used to be but I don't like that setup. A couple of forum members have offered to sell me early '70 model crossmembers reasonably but there is mention of modifications to the bolt holes, etc. at the frame ends. What am I getting in to trying to adapt the old crossmember to the newer frame ears?

Yes, for those who suggest it, I know that Bowtie Overdrives offers a crossmember that will work, but I think that $195 plus shipping is a little rich for my blood for such a piece.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

IMO the 200$ will be worth every penny over the stock one. biggest positive about the BTO crossmember is you can easily just lower the exhaust to remove it next time you need to take it off, instead of fighting trying to take pipes out that go through the stock style crossmember.

If your any good at welding, I would just modify the stock '80 crossmember to run a pipe down the left side, since you'll be welding an older style crossmember to fit your '80 anyways.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The '80 uses a bolt-in crossmember like the older automatic cars but I hear that some of the bolt holes are slightly different. I'm trying to get all the details about the swap-ability before I make the leap. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...CX7mUzJjb8kC3Q
scroll thru this thread for some excellent info

Get notified of new replies

To Trans crossmember switch

Quick Reply: Trans crossmember switch