C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stingray Side Emblems Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 AM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stingray Side Emblems Install

I removed the Stingray script side emblems (as well as all other trim) for a trip to the paint shop. The Stingray emblems are in good shape. One of the four pins was broken off long ago but the pin may be redundant with the adhesive. I plan to clean these up and reinstall them. There was a stringy black adhesive on the back of the emblems that easily came off with mineral spirits. The adhesive reminded me of weatherstrip adhesive. I notice that modern replacements have what looks like a foam adhesive die cut to match the script. Lacking the die cut foam adhesive, what would be the best way to duplicate the GM adhesive? I was thinking of using some black RTV Form-a-Gasket. The 3M weatherstrip may also work. Any ideas or experiences? Thanks.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:02 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi7.....,
Originally there was the black die cut adhesive you may be seeing remnants of.
I believe there were no speed nuts used on 69-72 cars.
But, you could certainly use a couple on each script.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

When I bought my '70 those emblems were not being held in place by anything. I guess previous owner didnt use anything after the paint job and they stayed in place just fine. I did get some speed nuts so they will go on soon.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:22 PM
redwhitekat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put l82 emblems on my 74 could not find double sided tape so used a clear general glue from a parts store looks good no mess when u put it on u have to hold it in place for about 5 min so it grabs after that its on there really good
Old 05-31-2013, 07:36 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

If I am remembering correctly, many moons ago on this forum someone posted the part number for a 3M double sided tape that was specifically for emblem reattachment. I have used 3M black weatherstrip adhesive on other cars in the past with good results.

DC
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Just use black GOOP on the inside surfaces of the studs.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:41 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I used a few dabs of plain old clear silicone years ago. Still intact to this day.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 PM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi7.....,
Originally there was the black die cut adhesive you may be seeing remnants of.
I believe there were no speed nuts used on 69-72 cars.
But, you could certainly use a couple on each script.
Regards,
Alan
As a matter of fact, I only found one speed nut. The other pins appeared to never have had them installed. Lots of options. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Korevette
Racer

From my recollection those emblem 'stud's were secured by what the body shop industry called 'barrel nuts' They had nothing to do with a nut that would thread onto the stud but a 'sleeve' that was inserted into a drilled hole in the body then inserted to accomodate the stud as it was shoved into the sleeve. There were 'grip tips' that would prevent the emblem from working it's self away from the body.

We used many adhesives to secure emblems. I avoided the 'black goop' on the back of the emblem as for most cases it still looked like 'black goop' when the emblem was in place. The thin script of 'Cutlass' looked like hell.

We used 3M double sided adhesive tape and cut out around or in between the emblem letters. Very time consuming. 3M had a thinner clear tape to secure the emblem but it was quite thin to try to cut around.

I would suggest to go to what the AIM manual called for and duplicate.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:55 AM
johnnyjaws
Advanced

use double sided foam tape buy gm put it on and slowly cut it out with a razor
Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM
sajclayton
8th Gear

I used a double sided tape from the home improvement store that is used to hold floor laminate down where 2 edges but together. I just stuck it to the emblem and use an exacto kinfe to trim to shape. I then stuck it to the car after pulling off the backing. It has been holding for over a year now with no problems
Old 06-21-2013, 04:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Whatever you use, it should be safe for the paint surface and it should also provide a 'cushion' so that the emblem does not vibrate against the paint and cause abrasion. You need to be able to remove that emblem and adhesive without damage to the paint.

I would highly recommend that you install at least 2 of the speed nuts on emblem pins to retain it securely. You don't need to tighten them too much...just enough to keep it snugged down. Those pins aren't very strong, anyway.

When I refurbished those 'script' side emblems, I found it IMPOSSIBLE to repaint them as the originals were (only the "background" section painted black). So, I chemically stripped the emblems, sprayed satin-black paint on all of it, then used an X-acto knife to peel off the semi-hardened paint from just the top surface of the lettering. They look a bit different than the originals....but I actually like them better!

Last edited by 7T1vette; 06-21-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 PM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did the unthinkable when i had trouble putting the stingray emblem. i crazy glued it and it is still on their like tick on a deer.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:35 AM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I used a few dabs of plain old clear silicone years ago. Still intact to this day.
just a testimony to the strength of silicone sealant. We use it in the machine shop where I work to seal the covers on fluid filled drive cases then tighten the bolts, and it takes a hammer and flange spreader to get those covers back off again a few years later.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Glad I used it sparingly.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

The thing about the script emblems is they usually trap dirt and wax and get really hard to clean around.
A thin "washer" cut from a piece of proper sized vacuum tube slid over the studs, and then speed nuts or a short length of vacuum tube over the studs once installed, allows for quick removal for clean-ups and keeps paint damage to a minimun.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:21 PM
Picceldo
1st Gear

Default The studs

Those studs are not meant to hold the emblem on the car. They are locating pins to ensure correct placement. They are held on with emblem adhesive.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by jackwabbit703
i did the unthinkable when i had trouble putting the stingray emblem. i crazy glued it and it is still on their like tick on a deer.
I was reading this timely post with interest because I bought an original NOS nose emblem from a guy whose dad worked at the supplier that originally made them in Michigan for the '82. He had an entire box of 50 of them - but they had not yet been fitted with 3M tape so as usual, guys here have it dialed in.
But, respectfully I couldn't help notice that a couple of the "resourceful" solutions are probably going to end up back here as bona fide "Bubba's Bible" posts by their next care-takers... pass the the chisel, please.
Just say'n

Get notified of new replies

To Stingray Side Emblems Install

Quick Reply: Stingray Side Emblems Install