C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Coupe front brake dragging.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 04:38 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

Default 70 Coupe front brake dragging.

Hi,one of my front brakes drags a bit. I have stripped the caliper and the bores look very good as do the pistons. The seals fitted are o ring type, the local brake shop said that a lip type seal should be fitted which is what I have bought. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was two types of seal fitted. Was the o ring type the early seal and was this replaced by the lip type?
Old 06-06-2013, 05:15 AM
1969Corvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

replace the hoses while it is apart. If they were not leaking the calipers may have been fine. These lines are known to swell causing the fluid to not want to return there for causing the caliper to stay compressed.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:29 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Good point, I will look into this, is it worthwhile fitting a stainless steel type line? I'm not familiar with these on cars but they certainly make a difference on my motorbikes.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no need for stainless lines but for sure replace the rubber brake lines at the caliper. More than likely that is where you problem is with the piston not returning into the bore b/c the rubber line internally has degraded and not allow pressure to let off at the caliper. Lip seals are the original and the o-ring type are the newer style which many report as a better choice and don't leak as often as the lip style.

Sully
Old 06-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Thanks, as I have already bought the lip seals, I will use these provided they will fit the pistons, reading some threads it appears that the pistons might be different for each type of seal, can someone confirm this is correct?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, you are correct. with the update of the o-ring seal there is a slight change in the piston. At least with the ones from VB&P. Redesign just as with the seal itself.

Sully

Get notified of new replies

To 70 Coupe front brake dragging.

Quick Reply: 70 Coupe front brake dragging.