C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stiff wall slicks v drag radials?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default stiff wall slicks v drag radials?

I have two sets of rear wheels now, so I'm trying to find the best race tire that will work with our style IRS set up and get me the best ET.

I currently have M/T ET street drag radials 275/60/15...best 60th was 1.629.

I also have Hoosier Quick Time Pros 28x11.5x15 bias ply...best 60th was 1.699..but my ET was .3-.5 slower and my mph was 4-5mph less with the Hoosiers over the drag radials. I've found out that other c3 guys found that these hoosiers hurt their perf at the strip because they dont work well with our style suspension.

I'm running a stick and car is 3350lbs with me in it. I've seen on other forums that M/T makes a stiff wall drag slick now that is suppose to be good for stick cars and cars that weight over 3000lbs. I've talked a guy with a 70 camaro that has similar motor/trans combo as me and he went faster and had a better 60ft by swapping for drag radials to the new MT stiff wall slicks...His car was slightly heavier then mine but its a solid axle

Have any of the drag racers on here used these style slicks? looking for any input....Not many c3 drag racers in my area.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Have you asked in the drag racing section? Somebody might be able to help you there. If not, I found the techs at MT to be really helpful and knowledgeable when I got my ET Streets and later as I was about to go racing with them for the first time.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:46 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

I have used both slicks and MT/ET Street drag radials, and on the Vette the drag radials perform the best without question. Better 60' times, less tire spin, less rolling resistance down the track for better control (no ballooning) and faster ET. I have used slicks on other cars (my '68 Roadrunner), and they worked great just as intended. But the Vette suspension is a different animal and prefers the drag radials.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:48 AM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
I have used both slicks and MT/ET Street drag radials, and on the Vette the drag radials perform the best without question. Better 60' times, less tire spin, less rolling resistance down the track for better control (no ballooning) and faster ET. I have used slicks on other cars (my '68 Roadrunner), and they worked great just as intended. But the Vette suspension is a different animal and prefers the drag radials.
Yea but what would you know? You're only running 10.4s All kidding aside, that has to be a serious rush! Kid, I think you have your answer.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 PM
L-82kid
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
thanks for the info.

I talked to a M/T tech and he said with a stick trans he still thinks I would benefit with a stiff wall slick over a drag radial but my wheels are 8.5" wide and I would need 10" wide for the 28x10.5" slicks.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 AM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by L-82kid
thanks for the info.

I talked to a M/T tech and he said with a stick trans he still thinks I would benefit with a stiff wall slick over a drag radial but my wheels are 8.5" wide and I would need 10" wide for the 28x10.5" slicks.
My experience is with an auto trans......if you get chance to borrow a set of slicks for your car, give them a try.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

IMO- I have never owned or used drag radials or DOT slicks.

I have always used Goodyear or now Hoosier wrinkle wall slicks with only 8 ish pounds in my vette.

The whole idea behind flex side wall design is that it take up the drive line shock and saves hard parts.

I was 1/2 owner and driver of a dragster that was very consistent 1.05 60 foot times with a 6500 stall 2 speed glide
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I don't have any experience with drag radials on my car...but lots of slick work. On my car the stiff sidewall slick works great. It allows me to run more air pressure while still hooking up. The added air pressure definitely helps handling. With regular slicks I was running 12.5 psi and it looked like the wheel was being driven into the pavement. I run 16.5 in the stiff tires. 60' times are usually only in the low 1.40's (best was a 1.38)....but I don't have a lot of overall first gear.

I do believe that if you can get it to hook...the radials..either regular drag radials or a radial slick will always be faster/quicker. The radials seem to be less forgiving on marginal tracks for most people. If you have a well prepped track I would bet on the radials everytime.

These are 28x10.5 stiff sidewalls M/T's on 8" Rally's.

JIM
Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Stiff wall slick for a stick car. Hurts you on the top end when compared to a radial but with a stick its the right tire.

Get notified of new replies

To stiff wall slicks v drag radials?

Quick Reply: stiff wall slicks v drag radials?