C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 PM
moondoggy200
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator leak

Hi everyone I have a c3 with a four year old radiator and it has a less than pin hole leak that, is hit and miss but it does come out of the face of rad. about a inch below the top tank. you cant see it unless you put some thing in front of the leak the spry is that fine. MY question is if I change the Rad.cap to a lower pound rated cap and put in a 1/4 cup of Barrs leak do you think I can get by for awhile. or am I just outa of luck. Rich outtt: THANK FOR HELP
Old 06-30-2013, 06:21 AM
scottw
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were me, I would get it fixed correctly. I stay away from all the "stop leak" stuff on the market. Don't want it to get in the engine and gunk anything up and reduce coolant flow.

If you do use Barr, it will work, I just wouldn't do it myself.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If its an aluminum-finned radiator, you might be able to carefully use some needle-nosed pliers to pinch-closed and/or fold-over the fin that has the leak. You can only do this if the leak is located very near the outer surface of that fin. If the exact leak is deeper into the face of the radiator, that technique won't work. If you try it, be advised that those fins are thin and you could make the leak worse, if you're too aggressive or not careful.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DO NOT use Stop Leak. I just did some work on my 81 and had used stop leak previously and it worked too DAMN good. Took the intake manifold off and some of the water passages were almost completely plugged up. Take the radiator to a shop and get it fixed right.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator leak

Quick Reply: Radiator leak