C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparation swap to Quadrajet

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:18 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Preparation swap to Quadrajet

Hello,
I'm going to prepare my 350HO crate engine so I can install the rebuild and tuned Quadrajet which will be shipping soon.
The engine comes with a square bore manifold so that's going to be swapped with a Performer intake for Vortec heads. (Edelbrock, Professional Products and GMPP are the only companies who make a intake spreadbore/vortec). I want US made so PP is out, the GMPP is a low rise with EGR, the performer is a high rise without EGR. I don't have EGR and currently have a high rise so the choice is easy.
I need to order parts directly so I need some advice on the parts to buy.
1) is the heater outlet on the Edelbrock is 1/2" NPT
2) the vacuum outlet is xxx NPT?
3) the quadrajet has a 1"-20 outlet. I can find a 1"-20 to 6AN reducer but the thread length on it is very limited and would like to avoid stripping out the threads. Are there any other oprions like a reducer to a smaller thread?
4) Due to the serpentine I can't install the Delco fuel filter upright like it was standard so I'm probably going with a generic 6AN in/out filter.
Is it advisable to install a 90° fitting to the AN fuel bowl inlet, then the filter and then a hardline to my current one or would it be better to add a bend hardline to the fuel inlet fitting (making a 90° bend) then the filter and another hardline to my current one?
5) In general would you use a spacer with two thin gaskets or just bolt the carb to the manifold with one thin gasket. I understood a spacer might be required to give clearance between the TV hookup and the front runner but with a high rise this will probably not be a issue?
6) The Quadrajet has a later model throttle shaft so I can hook up my 700R4. What are you guys using as a throttle/TV cable bracket? I currently have the lokar but the return springs are on the inside, TV on the outside which is just the opposite as on the carb. TCI makes a correct bracket but it has no provision for return springs ... How did you guys solve that? I read that the ideal spring location is either apporx from the throttle cable hole height to the hole on the throttle shaft or from the front at the same height of the throttle cable to the throttle cable stud on the carb. This to put as less force as possible on the shaft and it's bushings. Is this true?
7) Do you prefer the GM manifold to head gaskets or the Edelbrock ones?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Last edited by dembo; 06-23-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dembo:

The Performer is a low rise manifold. The Performer RPM is the high rise intake and it will not fit under the stock hood without a drop base on the air cleaner. The stock air cleaner is also a height problem. I ran a 7/8" drop base with an open element before I recently installed a CAI from a fellow Forum member.

Search for the CAI thread by pauldana.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Ah ok Glen, guess my opions are limited to the performer vortec, as the performer rpm vortec manifold has a square bore flange and I don't want to run a spread to square spacer.
Any takers on the other questions, my finger is itching to push the 'send order button' but would like to be sure
Nick
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

If your hood clearance is "minor," there is Puro # A60102 which is 2.5" high. It'll give you another 1/2". Worked for me with my ZZ4 install keeping my original SB hood.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

4) I just used the in carb filter on the Q-jet. Are you saying you are going to run a second filter? I couldnt find a generic model and I dont want to use the crap glass filters....so what are you using? (part # or source)

I ran into the squarebore/spreadbore issue. My intake was a spreadbore and the PO had a Edelbrock (square) on it so I converted to a Qjet as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
4) I just used the in carb filter on the Q-jet. Are you saying you are going to run a second filter? I couldnt find a generic model and I dont want to use the crap glass filters....so what are you using? (part # or source)

I ran into the squarebore/spreadbore issue. My intake was a spreadbore and the PO had a Edelbrock (square) on it so I converted to a Qjet as well.
Putting a square bore carb on a spread bore manifold isn't nearly as bad as a spread bore carb on a square bore manifold.

Scott
Old 06-24-2013, 01:30 PM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Twinray thank you for that reference nr. I should be fine as the performer is almost identical as the intake from GMPP currently on the engine and a drop base (Proform) with 3" fits
Scottd, I'm going to contact the guy who's preparing the Qjet, I'm not sure if it will come with a filter. My fuel hard lines are 6AN so I'll be using a similair filter to this russel fuel filter.

Scottp, that's why I'm changing manifold

Nick

Get notified of new replies

To Preparation swap to Quadrajet

Quick Reply: Preparation swap to Quadrajet