C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash turn signal light on solid when headlights on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:04 PM
wjsullivan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dash turn signal light on solid when headlights on?

Any thoughts on this one...

When I pull the headlight switch the light in the dash for the right turn signal comes on and remains on solid (no flashing). If I put the flashers on or turn the signal to the right the light flashes like normal. But when the flashers are off or left signal is on and flashing the right signal is on solid. When I turn off the headlights it goes off entirely.

Working on a 1975.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Bad ground on that side. The power is feeding through the signal bulb to ground.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:38 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by wombvette
Bad ground on that side. The power is feeding through the signal bulb to ground.
What's the best way to find the ground fault? Searching here many say to check grounds but not actually how. Would I get a solid ground wire like from the negative battery and touch it to the bulb base in the turn signal socket to find if it is that circuit? Where are the relevant ground points for this? On a C5 the ground points are known and posted, are there common grounds placed somewhere on a C3?

Yea, I have a similar electrical issue..
Old 06-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Yes!

Originally Posted by minitech
What's the best way to find the ground fault? Searching here many say to check grounds but not actually how. Would I get a solid ground wire like from the negative battery and touch it to the bulb base in the turn signal socket to find if it is that circuit?
From any good ground is OK.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM
wjsullivan
Pro

Interesting twist... Disconnected the battery and went to dinner. Came back to check it all again and no issue?

I'll have to check the bulb connections and wiring tomorrow.

All bulbs are good.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM
buffblazer
Advanced

Originally Posted by wjsullivan
Interesting twist... Disconnected the battery and went to dinner. Came back to check it all again and no issue?

I'll have to check the bulb connections and wiring tomorrow.

All bulbs are good.

Bad connection? My 86 k5 had that issue with the driver side turn light. Replaced the harness and still had issues. When the turn light stayed on I knew that my light was out. Get out of the truck, Tap the lens and it would work.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Old post by Roger

Most of the time it's the socket that is bad not the bulb.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 AM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Originally Posted by wjsullivan
Any thoughts on this one...

When I pull the headlight switch the light in the dash for the right turn signal comes on and remains on solid (no flashing). If I put the flashers on or turn the signal to the right the light flashes like normal. But when the flashers are off or left signal is on and flashing the right signal is on solid. When I turn off the headlights it goes off entirely.

Working on a 1975.
This happened to me a couple of days ago. No dash lights on speedo, and bright green solid turn indicator and blue high beam light same side.. The ground wire had come dislodged, plugged it back in an viola, it all works.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1976wanderlust
This happened to me a couple of days ago. No dash lights on speedo, and bright green solid turn indicator and blue high beam light same side.. The ground wire had come dislodged, plugged it back in an viola, it all works.
Where was the ground wire dislodged? Ground coming from the steering column, by the fuse panel, at one of the signal lights?
Old 06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

Where was the ground wire dislodged? Ground coming from the steering column, by the fuse panel, at one of the signal lights?
The ground connection is at the back if the speedo housing on the bottom to one side of the lower retainer. It comes out of the harness together with the lights for the speedo. Both the tach and speedo have similar arrays and grounds. Look up under the dash, remove the lower steering column trim piece (3 screws) and you should be able to see it to the steering wheel side on the bottom lower edge of the speedo housing (black female plug, male connector is in the lower retainer). If it is plugged in, do as others here have suggested, run a second ground lead from a tested and known ground spot (check with test light to a positive lead to make sure it is a good ground) and apply the (clip it to the male connector on the back of the speedo) ground directly to the metal housing of the back of the speedo. If this resolves your issue, then you have a bad ground somewhere in the harness, and you can just run a new ground with female connector to the back of the speedo. If the ground test does not work, you have other issues.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM
1976wanderlust
Advanced

The ground connection is at the back if the speedo housing on the bottom to one side of the lower retainer. It comes out of the harness together with the lights for the speedo. Both the tach and speedo have similar arrays and grounds. Look up under the dash, remove the lower steering column trim piece (3 screws) and you should be able to see it to the steering wheel side on the bottom lower edge of the speedo housing (black female plug, male connector is in the lower retainer). If it is plugged in, do as others here have suggested, run a second ground lead from a tested and known ground spot (check with test light to a positive lead to make sure it is a good ground) and apply the (clip it to the male connector on the back of the speedo) ground directly to the metal housing of the back of the speedo. If this resolves your issue, then you have a bad ground somewhere in the harness, and you can just run a new ground with female connector to the back of the speedo. If the ground test does not work, you have other issues.
PS, if you are looking for the origin of the ground, i.e. it's all connected and you want to solve the original ground, the only way is to trace the wiring diagram, these are available from Wilcox online for free. Start at the speedo and follow the wire to where it grounds to the car. I'm really trying not to Bubba up my vette, but Bubba had been there before me, so I have solved several issues by running improved grounds. Or in my case of the speedo, just plugging it back in.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:58 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Thanks for that, I'll look at it next
Old 05-17-2020, 11:07 PM
dreno73
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for that, I'll look at it next
Did you ever figure it out? I’m having the same issue on my 74.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash turn signal light on solid when headlights on?

Quick Reply: Dash turn signal light on solid when headlights on?