C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L-82 Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:15 AM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Interesting thread. I have a 79 L82 4 speed with 65,000 miles that has not been messed with. Still has the air pump even. Ignition and carb (thanks Lars) tweeks helped quite a bit but I have resisted doing anything else because of originality.

I didn't buy the car as an investment (owned it almost nine years and it's maybe worth slightly more than what I originally paid for it, certainly I will never recoup all the money I have put into it over the years) and the point of these cars is fun so why not make it a little more fun with some subtle performance upgrades? A stock head looks like an AFR head on the outside, right Maybe ditch the cat and go to true duals. That should wake it up and still keep it close to stock appearance. It's not like I'm going to cut a hole in the hood for the blower.

A Pace Car with only 7,000 miles that has been in your family since new I would be concerned about preserving it's originality for sure, but I am rethinking my decision to leave mine alone.

Hmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-11-2013, 06:43 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
I think that if you installed a 2 1/2" dual exhaust system with headers, (save the old exhaust system, if possible) and re-curved the distributor, you would be surprised at how much more SOTP power you would have at your disposal. And, if you decide to go further, you'll already have a nice exhaust system to support it. That's what I would do first, before spending the big bucks on top end kits and such. Exhaust system mods are almost always the first mod on any cars I've ever hopped up.

Scott
I agree. Best 'First Step' and you can decide if sufficiently improved. I'd go with a nice set of Crane or Comp roller tip rockers to true up the lift; get all the orig bump stick has to offer.

If you decide to step things up a bit, see my signature. A GREAT '2nd Step'.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 AM
pacecar620
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pace1978
Thanks for the input guys.

Mel, there is a straight plug version avaliable and I'll do some research on hood clearance as well.
Pace - The only manifold from Edelbrock that will fit under the stock Corvette hood is the 2101 (non-egr) or 3701 (egr) Performers. The Performer Air-Gap (2601), Performer RPM and Performer RPM Air-Gap are all too tall according to the Edelbrock catalog, requiring modification (ouch!) to the stock hood or use of a big block hood. I'm keeping mine all stock, or at least stock appearing (shhh).
Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM
c6silver
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it depends on your goals and what the car has now for rear gears. If you have 2.73 or 3.08 gears I'd build a 406 or 408 with a mild flat tappet cam and vortec heads attached to a 2004r trans. Pull the original engine and trans and store it in the garage for safe keeping. Use some C2 exhaust manifolds with the 2.5" outlets and have them ported. Pypes makes a true dual exhaust for this car. Enjoy it the way YOU want to.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:13 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by pacecar620
Pace - The only manifold from Edelbrock that will fit under the stock Corvette hood is the 2101 (non-egr) or 3701 (egr) Performers. The Performer Air-Gap (2601), Performer RPM and Performer RPM Air-Gap are all too tall according to the Edelbrock catalog, requiring modification (ouch!) to the stock hood or use of a big block hood. I'm keeping mine all stock, or at least stock appearing (shhh).
i have an rpm air gap with 1/2 inch spacer under my stock hood and i am not alone. i use a dropped base air cleaner and its no problem.

Quick Reply: L-82 Performance Upgrades