C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6AL-2 wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:59 AM
efather
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6AL-2 wiring question

I am trying to wire the MSD now, and have the 6al-2, msd distributor, and new coil (i forget which), and a new complete harness.

I have searched the forum for the wiring needed, but all the stuff I see is just like the documentation with the MSD.

I dont understand or cant see how to connect the solenoid on the starter in the new configuration.

The MSD will go to the coil. but I dont see any wires that should or sould not go to the posts on the starter solenoid (the 2 little ones).

does anyone have a diagram or information on how to connect the solenoid into the new setup? what should and should not be used from the wiring harness, etc. Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

It doesn't connect to the starter at all. There are 2 red wires. The smaller of the 2 connects to an ignition switched circuit.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM
efather
Racer

Oh ok, so the normal connection from the wiring harness is how that connects. I would have thought they would be connected in order to have them in sync when the switch was turned.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:40 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

The wire that connects to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid was used with your old "Points" ignition system. The wire we're talking about is a tan colored with nylon braided insulation. It was connected to the + side of your old coil. What it did was to give the coil a full 12 volts only during engine cranking. Otherwise, the + side of the coil got about 9 volts during normal operation. With a MSD ignition, you don't need, or want, the wires that went to the + side of your old coil.

When I wired up my 6AL box, I ran a separate wire from the inside fuse block from the "IGN" terminal, thru the firewall, to the 6AL box. This wire tells the 6AL that the ignition is on.

John
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM
efather
Racer

so let me see if I understand in general now.

1. I dont need the old coil wires because the "new" ones from the msd will go back to the new coil.
2. I dont want to wire the solenoid back to the coil like the old one did. which will leave 1 post on the solenoid empty.
3. The wireing harness wire that was the switched power to the solenoid should still be used just as it use to be.
4. Could I use the same switched wire that goes to the solenoid as the switch power to the msd? (I may still run a new switch wire from the fuse block to the engine bay for my fans etc.)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:09 PM
general69
Advanced

Default msd

just so you know, if you go to MSDs' website, they have all the wiring configurations for all their products right on line.
I've referred to them many times
Old 07-02-2013, 01:49 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

See if this helps.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:38 PM
efather
Racer

yeah I looked through and saw those diagrams etc. i was just misunderstanding the way the starter worked into the equation (or didnt work into it as is the case). ALso dont want to run extra wires if I can help it.

Get notified of new replies

To 6AL-2 wiring question

Quick Reply: 6AL-2 wiring question