C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 AM
hardlanding
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

Ok, I have some questions as to what recommendations you would do given the following parameters.
Let start off here, I have a 1980 L-82, with 60k on it. I have to tear apart the top end because everything is leaking…valve covers, intake, rad has a pin hole leak in it. So here is where I am at, I am gonna replace the factory manafolds with factory shorty headers, I wanna keep the smog equipment in place for future resale (I think this is gonna become a problem down the road when it’s not there), I am gonna remove the cat and keep it, but all the other stuff is staying in place this way if someone wants to bring it back to factory orginal they can. (budget is around 1500.00 max.)
1.) Should I upgrade the cam, if so to what, this is gonna be a driver so what would be the best upgrade if any.
2.) Should I swap out the heads, if so what ones should I replace them with, or any upgrades to the heads that you can recommend? I have the factory air working perfectly, cools the car down pretty dam good on 90 days. (questioning the hole alum. Heads thing)
3.) If I do the cam should I swap out the Silent Chain, for a double roller (silent factory timing chains only stretch out once and that’s it, never undersood the benefit of a double roller, maybe I am missing something here)
4.) I am gonna rebuild the carb, and keep it factory…
5.) Intake is gonna stay factory…
6.) Any other helpful hints

Please tell me if I am making any foolish mistakes, I will not be offended!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

the last thing i would do is change the cam, the L-82 is a really decent grind. i would change the heads to newer aluminum heads with smaller chambers. a double roller chain has less rotational friction and doesn't stretch. i think you can get shorty headers with a.i.r fittings, you can cap them and use them later if you wish. mcjacks makes the headers but they are really proud of them. I'm sure someone will chime in with how wrong i am and how you need a crate stroker moter, but it is all relative.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM
hardlanding
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
the last thing i would do is change the cam, the L-82 is a really decent grind. i would change the heads to newer aluminum heads with smaller chambers. a double roller chain has less rotational friction and doesn't stretch. i think you can get shorty headers with a.i.r fittings, you can cap them and use them later if you wish. mcjacks makes the headers but they are really proud of them. I'm sure someone will chime in with how wrong i am and how you need a crate stroker moter, but it is all relative.
Hmmm, I would have thunk it would stretch, like my dirtbike chains...thanks for the info
Old 07-10-2013, 11:10 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

GM runs aluminum heads on iron blocks, don't know exactly what flow or cc your heads are, but GM and mandated emissions lead to' poor for power' head and cam design in the 70's. new heads and cam with 30+ years of CAD improvements = a more efficient engine. eldebrock has some nice kits. I run double on both my engines. last winter when I changed out the chain set there was no plastic left on the cam sprocket.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Devil's Advocate: do a stock L-82 overhaul; use the double roller chain set if you want. Use the LG-4\81-82 exhaust manifolds.

You'll have a nice, essentially stock L-82 driver.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree, keep the cam and get some nice aluminum heads. AFR 180s should work well.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The biggest cork in the L82 is the exhaust system. I would remove the entire exhaust system, exhaust manifolds back, and if it's in good shape, save it. Replace it with something like this:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~~~~~0000050Q#

Complete exhaust system, 679 bucks. You've got 821 bucks left, spend it on putting the engine back together with good gaskets, a good tune on the carb, re-curve the distributor, and the new back tires you will need pretty soon!

Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 07-10-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To help

Quick Reply: help