C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 Spd Transmission removal w/o removing shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
wyocat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default 4 Spd Transmission removal w/o removing shifter

I have searched the forum and have not found the answer. I have heard that you can remove the Muncie transmission out of C3 WITHOUT removing the frame mounted shifter. BUT HOW..that I did not get the answer to. So who knows how?
I have a 68, 327, Muncie, exhaust in place.

Thank You...
John
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM
spinadog
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

100% correct. On my 454 with M21, If I recall, there are three banjo clips that hold the shifter linkages to the gearbox selector arms. Once they are unclipped, the shifter is independent of the gearbox.

Have FUN getting those demonic clips off! There is a knack to it. I am sure someone out there could make an awesome career out of simply being 'on call' to remove those little ba**ds. It requires a twist at the right time to get them to release. Once you get the hang of it, it's a little easier, just a little.

Or, it is to put them on? See? The memory is so painful I have partially erased it...

Old 07-15-2013, 08:09 PM
wyocat
Instructor

OK so it is either taking out two bolts that you can't get to and pull the shifter or pull banjo clips that don't come out or go back in. This is the third time out in a year (very long story) ...
Old 07-15-2013, 08:48 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's ugly, regardless. Link to pictures of those )@#(IE clips.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/390161752644?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

remove the bolts that hold the shift levers to the fork shafts.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Well on my M20 it's just two bolts. One holding on the linkage bracket to the tranny the other at the top holding the linkage to the bracket with a nut. Just take the nut off from the back side (move driveshaft).

The hard part is with the linkage in place the bolt to tranny for the bracket is hard to reach with regular wrench but it can be done. I've decided after 8 or 9 tranny pulls its always easiest just to remove linkage completely.

You still have to take off linkage bracket to remove tranny anyway. So you are not saving all that much I think.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
wyocat
Instructor

Thanks guys... I did not try to remove the tranny with shifter in place... sounds faster, but not sure it would be. I have the pull down to a little over an hour. (really not hustling and laying on floor and bench pressing tranny in and out). As Surfer 69 said.. have to remove linkage bracket anyway... so the shifter really is not an issue after that.

Thanks
John
Old 12-18-2014, 06:31 PM
gc161968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys can someone post a link to a thread for a Muncie R&R and clutch replacement? Have replaced or helped replace many TH350 and TH400 but never a 4spd and never a clutch. Any tips like these would be very much appreciated also! The clips hint is great thanks.

Originally Posted by wyocat
I have searched the forum and have not found the answer. I have heard that you can remove the Muncie transmission out of C3 WITHOUT removing the frame mounted shifter. BUT HOW..that I did not get the answer to. So who knows how?
I have a 68, 327, Muncie, exhaust in place.

Thank You...
John
Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Whoa...the shifter on a 68 is attached differently that the 69 and up. On one, the shifter is attached to the frame with the rods being attached of course to the transmission. On the other, the shifter is attached directly to the transmission. I think the 69 and up shifter is attached to the tranny, not the frame.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:40 PM
wzschirnt
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi,

66 and newer C3 factory 4-speed shifters mount to the frame crossmember. Most aftermarket shifters - Hurst, etc - mount to the trans tailshaft.

From my experience, removing the tranny (without pulling the motor) benefits from all the room you can get under the floorboard. The service manual references "rolling the trans on its side and lowering from the crossmember". It's kind of a pain, but can be done. And it is more fun if you have a scattershield around the clutch.

Have fun.
walt
Old 12-21-2014, 07:47 PM
gc161968
Instructor

Thanks Walt LOL. Yea luckily I have all winter to do it! Im trying to decide on what clutch now. I thought a DF Centerforce but I see some bad things about the weights on them.

Originally Posted by wzschirnt
Hi,

66 and newer C3 factory 4-speed shifters mount to the frame crossmember. Most aftermarket shifters - Hurst, etc - mount to the trans tailshaft.

From my experience, removing the tranny (without pulling the motor) benefits from all the room you can get under the floorboard. The service manual references "rolling the trans on its side and lowering from the crossmember". It's kind of a pain, but can be done. And it is more fun if you have a scattershield around the clutch.

Have fun.
walt
Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 PM
gc161968
Instructor

I will try to remember to take a lot of pics and post for everyone to see. I saw another thread on here with excellent details and photos. I can probably find the link if anyone wants it. Maybe someone here did it lol

Get notified of new replies

To 4 Spd Transmission removal w/o removing shifter

Quick Reply: 4 Spd Transmission removal w/o removing shifter