C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Front Bumper removal re Body Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 04:19 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Default How to Front Bumper removal re Body Off.

How do you remove the from bumper assembly on a 75' in order to seperate the body from the frame?

I know there are three bolts inside the left and right fender well.

Then one more on the inside L&R corner beside the turn signal in the front grill.

Do the two at the bottom of the radiator support have to be removed?

Are there anymore?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 04:53 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed my radiator support. I also removed the headlight assemblies and then all the small nuts that hold the bumper to the front clip. Most of these just broke off because they were very rusted. You'll be able to access everything better if you take out the headlight assemblies. Worked for me.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the reply bwinterstine, I prefer not to remove the headlight assembly if at all possible.

Is there another method?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Anyone?
Old 08-04-2013, 01:08 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If that is an original 75 bumper cover, you might as well just cut it off with a box cutter and then remove the bolts. The bumper will be brittle and useless by the time you get it off anyway, and most of the bolts around the cover will snap off. Just bite the bullet and replace it.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 AM
bwinterstine
Racer

Just my two cents but those headlight assemblies add weight to the forward portion of the front clip. Nothing supports the clip from the firewall forward once you remove the frame/bumper extensions. Even with my assemblies removed, I rigged a angle iron brace from the rear passenger compartment, over the windshield frame to the front and then supported the clip w/ a strap to the brace. I will admit, it would be easier to take them out after pulling the body but I wanted to save my bumper ... mine had already been replaced at some point.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wombvette
If that is an original 75 bumper cover, you might as well just cut it off with a box cutter and then remove the bolts. The bumper will be brittle and useless by the time you get it off anyway, and most of the bolts around the cover will snap off. Just bite the bullet and replace it.
Thanks for the reply wombvette;

I'm not just trying to remove the bumper cover, I'm asking about seperating the front bumper assembly from the frame in order to do a body off resto. If I remove the bumper cover I don't believe I can seperate the assembly, is that correct? I assume there is much more to it that just the cover assembly.

Originally Posted by bwinterstine
Just my two cents but those headlight assemblies add weight to the forward portion of the front clip. Nothing supports the clip from the firewall forward once you remove the frame/bumper extensions. Even with my assemblies removed, I rigged a angle iron brace from the rear passenger compartment, over the windshield frame to the front and then supported the clip w/ a strap to the brace. I will admit, it would be easier to take them out after pulling the body but I wanted to save my bumper ... mine had already been replaced at some point.
Thanks for the reply bwinterstine;

There is a write up on building a wood frame assembly that is mobile which will support the front section of the car therefore weight shouldn't be an issue. I've read a couple of body off write ups and most never removed the headlight assemblies, therefore I question the need to do so in my case.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: purchase the 75 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and take a look at the pages showing the installation of the front bumper hardware. Using those posges, unbolt what you have.

Hold on to the AIM and use it again when it comes times to put the body back on the frame and add the bumper.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

I agree, you dont have to remove them, for me it helped.

I built the wood dolly and it is great. Just make sure if you are using an engine type lift that the lower braces are high enough off the floor for the lift to roll under it. I learned the hard way.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
FWIW: purchase the 75 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and take a look at the pages showing the installation of the front bumper hardware. Using those posges, unbolt what you have.
Thanks Mike, I bought the AIM about 5 years ago and don't remember where I put it since it's still in the package. I guess it was a matter of spending a couple hours looking for it, or a couple minutes posting and the rest of the time removing it.

Point taken non the less.
I agree, you dont have to remove them, for me it helped.

I built the wood dolly and it is great. Just make sure if you are using an engine type lift that the lower braces are high enough off the floor for the lift to roll under it. I learned the hard way.
I removed the front bumper assembly and although it was more work then the rear assembly in regards to the amount of bolts, I can't seem to remove the rear assembly now. I've removed the 4 bolts on the L&R side that hold in the 5 mile per hours bumper shocks to the frame but it will only come out about 1/2". Are there more bolts that I need to remove.

If I ever find the AIM I'm sure it will give me the answer but in the meantime...............anyone?

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 08-05-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Removed both front and rear 75 bumpers, cut off the old ones, you will break off lots of the studs anyway and will be installing new ones.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Thanks for the info Mod75,

Removing the front and rear bumper covers is the easy part, removing the whole assembly is somewhat different and necessary when doing a body off resto which is the reason for the thread. I was hoping to get more info on the rear bumper assembly removal and I believe I may have missed 1 bolt on both the left and right side.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 PM
bwinterstine
Racer

I left my rear bumper on because it was too hard getting to all the small nuts attaching it to the rear clip. When I removed the body, the rear bumper and the steel bumper support were still attached. On my 75, I disconnected the 8 frame/shock bolts. Other then that, the antenna ground and Gas Tank Sender wire. I think that was it. Now, it will be very easy to take off the bumper cover and support (all those small nuts are easy to get to with the body off the frame.).
Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM
tracdogg2
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Thanks for the info Mod75,

Removing the front and rear bumper covers is the easy part, removing the whole assembly is somewhat different and necessary when doing a body off resto which is the reason for the thread. I was hoping to get more info on the rear bumper assembly removal and I believe I may have missed 1 bolt on both the left and right side.
Yes there should be one more bolt on each shock that supports the end in the frame.
Mike
Old 08-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

On my 75, I disconnected the 8 frame/shock bolts. Other then that, the antenna ground and Gas Tank Sender wire. I think that was it. Now, it will be very easy to take off the bumper cover and support (all those small nuts are easy to get to with the body off the frame.).
Thanks for the info bwinterstine;

Originally Posted by tracdogg2
Yes there should be one more bolt on each shock that supports the end in the frame.
Mike
Thanks Mike, I found the one bolt on each side, once removed the rear bumper assembly came out with ease.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Front Bumper removal re Body Off.

Quick Reply: How to Front Bumper removal re Body Off.