Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
brainsoft
CF Senior Member

Default 1980 Interior lights and gauge cluster illumination

Are the 5 gauges supposed to be illuminated? I know mine are currently impossible to read in the dark making it difficult to see when I need gas at night.

Also is there a way to manually turn on the dome light? I expected to turn the headlight **** until it clicked but the dome does not come on. It comes on when the doors are opened though, so the lamp is intact.

Thanks
~Dave
brainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
2box
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsoft View Post
Are the 5 gauges supposed to be illuminated? I know mine are currently impossible to read in the dark making it difficult to see when I need gas at night.

Also is there a way to manually turn on the dome light? I expected to turn the headlight **** until it clicked but the dome does not come on. It comes on when the doors are opened though, so the lamp is intact.

Thanks
~Dave
Yes they are. If they are not You need to replace the bulbs, If You do You might want to go with Led's. Good luck
2box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
blackcorvette1980
CF Member

Yes, the dome light should turn on when you turn the headlight **** all the way to the left. Turning the **** to the right will dim all the gauge lights.
blackcorvette1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
brainsoft
CF Senior Member

Each gauge has its own light I assume? What size are those allen key screws?

I guess that means my headlight switch is not fully functional. It dims the main dash only.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
qwank
CF Senior Member

the allen screws are decoration only.

You don't need LEDs, with all brand new bulbs you should be able to see fine. you do need a special bulb for the opera light that illuminates the HVAC controls though
qwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
AdamMeh
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwank View Post
the allen screws are decoration only.

You don't need LEDs, with all brand new bulbs you should be able to see fine. you do need a special bulb for the opera light that illuminates the HVAC controls though
Replaced all the bulbs in our dash with stock replacements. It's very easy to read them at night now.

Adam
AdamMeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
qwank
CF Senior Member

The problem with LEDs is you will get "hot spots". so it will be brighter in some areas than others.
qwank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
idtpes

regular bulbs are cheap. If I remember, I got an entire bumper to bumper set for $30 a few years back. well worth the investment, makes a huge difference.
idtpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
brainsoft
CF Senior Member

I thought it was too good to be true to have a gauge so easy to remove! Does the cluster come out as one unit from the back or are there hidden screws on the front. Oh, the screws under the lip above the vents will peel off the whole front console maybe?
Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
idtpes

It has been awhile since I pulled mine, but you take out the side panels along the console there are 4-6 screws that hold those two carpet pieces in place. Then you can get to screws on the plastic piece that holds the gauge cluster in place, it is one piece (I think), the gauge assembly along with the plate that covers the shifter assembly.. It appears to be two pieces but I think it is actually it is one. Remove the shift grip also by unscrewing the push button at the very top then the part that looks like a cue ball. again, my memory might be a bit fuzzy on the details w/o looking at it.

Last edited by idtpes; 07-22-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
idtpes

p.s. no screws are on the front of the plate, decoration only.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
LannyL81
CF Senior Member

There are six screws in the gauge console; two at the top going up into the dash and one on each side just below the midpoint and two at the very bottom corners that connect the shift console to the gauge console.

Be very easy with the electrical connector on the back of the gauge cluster. The flex circuit contacts are not very durable.
LannyL81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
brainsoft
CF Senior Member

Pulled the cluster apart to check the lamps. They appear to be in working order except for the small down light. That lamp burned out and melted the housing so the lamp holder will not re-seat in the housing. The other lamps appear to be intact but will meter them tonight.

Looking at the circuit board it looks like all the general lamps are on the same pin. i guess the fuse could be blown... i will have to try to find the fuse block tonight.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #14
AdamMeh
CF Senior Member

The fuse block is located under the drivers side dash. On the firewall, above where your left foot would be when sitting in the car.
AdamMeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
brainsoft
CF Senior Member

Thanks Adam, I will be digging in there shortly
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 AM   #16
brainsoft
CF Senior Member

Okay here is what I have learned tonight

All of the lamps are good in the cluster, only the climate control opera light is fried.
None of the fuses I checked were blown. I don't know which fuse they are on but they all seems operational.
There is no 12V signal present on the pin 12 circuit that picks up all the cluster lamps.

Somewhere between the fuse block and the cluster there is a bad connection. I have a couple of pages of wiring diagrams from Mitchell on Demand and it appears the lighting circuit runs through the wiper switch. I know the dome light has some intermittent problem, and the headlight and wiper switch are right there beside each other. Perhaps I will get lucky and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I don't know how to remove the wiper switch however! I have the bezel off and the switch assembly only comes part way out
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #17
SciVette
CF Senior Member

Bad news- removing the wiper switch likely requires pulling the speedo cluster out to get behind and remove the screw that is located at the bottom of the wiper switch assembly. Also check your wiring in the dash/under the steering column. I had burned/melted wiring that caused me problems with the courtesy light and other areas. It took me forever to run that one down...

http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...oval_78-82.pdf

Note- These instructions say you have to pull the steering wheel. I drop the steering column down a bit and carefully remove the speedo/tach over the steering wheel. It's tricky, but can be done.
SciVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:10 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page 1980 Interior lights and gauge cluster illumination