C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Diff Pinion Seal and Power Steering Valve Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Rear Diff Pinion Seal and Power Steering Valve Leak

About 10 years ago I completely rebuilt the differential and replaced the power steering control valve with a new unit.

The valve starting leaking "again" soon after, much worse now and I noticed some oil coming from the diff pinion seal.

The car is not driven much, the rear pinion seal may have 10,000 miles on it. The seals were purchased from a good company so I am at a loss as to why they leak. The 30 year old pre-rebuild seals didn't leak at all, at least to the point where spots would form on the floor after a week of sitting.

Question 1: I recall having to apply significant torque to the pinion nut to properly set the clearances. I assume the seal cannot be replaced with diff on car?

Question 2:
Are there any decent power steering components out there that don't inherently leak 24/7?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Replacing the pinion seal is not difficult, but it is a little more challenging doing it on the car. THe hard part is getting the preload back on the bearings. Mark the location of the nut and count the threads showing. Do the R&R, then tighten the nut back to that spot without going past that point. There should be a couple of posts on here describing the easy way to do that. Search for pinion seal.

The only leak I have on my p/s is just a wet spot on the control valve- it always has a drop hanging on it, but never leaves a spot on the floor. At least not that I've noticed.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the feed back, upon closer observation today it seems the oil may not be coming from the seal but maybe from center of the yoke where the threaded section of the shaft passes through the yoke. The oil is being slung and coating everything in the area then dripping down the brackets and dripping to the floor....just a little. If it was coming from the seal I would have expected to see a drip at the yoke/dust shield area but it was as dry as a bone.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:59 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

IF there's not any sealer on the splines of the pinion and yoke they will seep a little as the oil crawls thru them. I'd clean it up and live with it until there's a real reason to pull the yoke.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Diff Pinion Seal and Power Steering Valve Leak

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Pinion Seal and Power Steering Valve Leak