C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP S.O.S.! '79 won't crank over

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 AM
mitchbloms
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP S.O.S.! '79 won't crank over

Hi Everyone,

Im new to the forum and have a big dilemna on my hands. Heres my story. Earlier this summer my vette was having some starting issues. It would click when I turned the ignition over and after a few tries (10 or so) it would finally turn over and start. But now it does nothing at all...turn the key and just the radio and dash lights come on. Ive been working on this now for three weekends. Heres my progress: Weekend #1: Pulled starter, tested fine at auto parts store...still nothing (no clicks). Changed ignition cyclinder (no change)...put old one back in, and returned new one to the parts store. Weekend #2: Pulled starter, bought new starter, installed new starter (nothing). Took new starter, old starter, and battery to the auto parts store...both starters tested fine, battery was low but it tested good and they fully charged it to. Okay, put new starter on and fully charged battery in and wall-la she started right up. Three times actually and on the four try....nothing (no clicks)...back to square one. Weekend #3: Grounds appear to be fine (cleaned them a little bit), neutral safety switch does have reverse back lights (tried adjusting it a little, still didnt make a difference), fusible links off of the starter appear to be fine (except one has a bit of wire exposed from it, problem???). Ive been checking everything on this beast and Im not getting anywhere, except an education (which is good I guess)

Last edited by mitchbloms; 08-13-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

did the store load test the batt? that usually takes at least a half hour.
Some store just check the voltage and say its good.

start at the batt and clean/tighten every connection all the way to the starter.

bypass neutral safety switch to take it out of the circuit.

just some things to check before looking into the ig switch. most starter probs are cleaning and connection issues. At least that's been my experience.

this is your clue its prob a connection problem...
Originally Posted by mitchbloms
Okay, put new starter on and fully charged battery in and wall-la she started right up. Three times actually and on the four try....nothing (no clicks)...back to square one.

Last edited by jnealg; 08-13-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:41 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am betting that it is the battery...

Sometimes this same symptom can be caused by a heat soaked starter, but it doesn't sound like it has been running, then sitting, for a period of time before the starter won't turn the motor over.

Load test the battery as jnealg suggested. With a full charge it worked, but then drained itself quickly...

Just my 2 cents.

John
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 AM
gofastvette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typical do it yourselfer.....car wont crank, crawl under the car and remove the starter.....bad starter right...Yet never clean the grounds first...actually easier than removing a heavy starter.....go to parts store and get a remanufactured/rebuilt {new?} as they are sometimes called...anyway installed {40 lb piece} after a few hit and misses....Guess what, the new one don't work.....GD auto parts junk....take the new? defective off and get another one over the parts store objection until you said you were going to throw the returned defective starter through his window.................customer satisfaction taken care of reluctantly window was saved.........{DIYS} short for yourselfer.....you guessed it the second {new/rebuilt} one don't work either........moral here is clean the grounds especially those from the battery to the frame if available on your year or whatever....
Old 08-13-2013, 10:29 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Check the negative ground from the battery under the car and clean it. There is a chance that the ignition switch needs attention, but I still lean towards the neutral safety switch.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The store can't check a part when its hot like on the car. The fact that it clicks a few times and THEN turns over tell me its not the battery but maybe the cables. Your new starter doing the same thing supports that theory also.
One other connection that must be made is a clean mating surface between the starter and the block. Any rust, oil, paint, ect will make a bad contact.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM
mitchbloms
4th Gear

Thanx for the responses everyone. Just to clear up any confusion. When I turn the key....I get nothing, no clicks from the starter, nothing.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a test light and hook it up to the wire at the wire (I think it's the purple one) going to the neutral safety switch. If you turn the key and the light comes on then the ignition switch and the wire going to the neutral safety switch are good. Then work your way forward until you lose it. If you don't have power at the neutral safety switch then work your way back toward the ignition switch until you find power. You should be able to find where you are losing the power.

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:23 PM
mitchbloms
4th Gear

I think my NSS is fryed. Had noticed before that where the purple wires connect to it the plastic looked a little burned. I was fiddling around with it last night, wiggling the shifter when I was turning the key over and smoke started coming from the NSS. The plastic is now burnt more
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mitchbloms
...smoke started coming from the NSS...
Run, Forrest!!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 PM
mitchbloms
4th Gear

I bought a test light and hooked it up to the purple wire at the neutral safety switch. Turned the key and the starter engaged a couple of times but other times nothing at all. It was like I was bypassing the switch with the test light. So great peeps of the corvette forum what is this telling me? NSS bad? Ignition switch bad?

Get notified of new replies

To HELP S.O.S.! '79 won't crank over

Quick Reply: HELP S.O.S.! '79 won't crank over