C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Captain *@#%* Crunch Starter ! !

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 03:25 PM
Rumble 65
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Captain *@#%* Crunch Starter ! !

Anyone using a CSI Performance Products Mini Starter Model 100SBP? Its the model with the offset bolt pattern which can be used with either a 153 or 168 tooth flexplate. I have the 153 tooth plate which means I use the outer most bolt holes on the starter housing in order to move the starter in toward the flexplate. I am having BIG time problems getting the starter to line up without it destroying the teeth on the flexplate. It's breaking the outer most edge of the flexplate teeth. There is NO way I can see the pinion gear and flexplate in order adjust the back lash as described in the instructions so I'm going with sound only. I have tried using 1, 3, and 5 mounting shims. 5 is by far the crunchiest sound. I have even tried adjusting the ring gear to pinion gear clearance with the shims supplied. I did an initial guess on the clearance using ruler at about 0.078" which should have been OK but I'm so frustrated that I wanted to try anything. With the increased clearance I tried 1 and 2 shims. With 2 shims it sounded like I had a winner on the first crank, but on additional cranks, I was back to crunch. :smash:
I don't know how much more breakage the flexplate can take. It may already be too far gone - I don't know. Any ideas would be appreciated. :blueangel: :seeya
Old 07-01-2002, 03:08 AM
Stevo81
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Captain *@#%* Crunch Starter ! ! (Rumble 65)

Call CSI asap.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:24 PM
Rumble 65
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Captain *@#%* Crunch Starter ! ! (Rumble 65)

I did manage to get the starter backlash adjusted correctly. :) I had to machine 0.045" off of the CSI mounting block. :sad:

Here is a tip for those who may encounter starter backlash problems in the future. I actually have to give credit for this to my local HP Auto parts store. Paint the starter pinion gear a bright color ( I used Chevy orange - of course :) ). Install the starter, crank the starter over and then remove the starter. Inspect the pinion gear closely and you can see/measure how much backlash you have. In my case I had about 0.090" way too much as CSI specified 0.030 to 0.050". So adding shims just made the situation worse and necessitated the machining of the mounting block.

So for me, I'm off to the next problem.............. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Captain *@#%* Crunch Starter ! !

Quick Reply: Captain *@#%* Crunch Starter ! !