C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Power Antenna Repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:16 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 1981 Power Antenna Repair

Following on from a previous thread....
Antenna was stuck in the up position so I decided to remove it to see what the problem was.
On closer inspection, all 3 wires had been cut. When these were connected back up ( no key in ignition and so radio off ) the motor ran continuously but the mast stayed up. Whne green wire disconnected, it stopped.

I removed the antenna and stripped it down.

In the antenna housing, the hook and a short length of the nylon inner rod could be seen, Im guessing at 4-5 inches max.

There is no nylon inner coming out of the bottom of the mast.

Mast is straight and not bent.

So, what repair kit do I need? Is the mast and nylon inner one piece or are they separate? If separate, how do I get the remaining nylon inner out of mast?

Also, would I be right in thinking that the motor ran because it was as if the mast was coming down but as the inner had snapped, it just ran on and on?
Cheers.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:33 PM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

you should open the antennae up, clean out the broken pieces of nylon, re lube gears and re seal. new mast should come with nylon leader attached.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by A88FXRS
you should open the antennae up, clean out the broken pieces of nylon, re lube gears and re seal. new mast should come with nylon leader attached.
Ive split the motor housing and removed the small section of nylon leader.
Dumb question, how do I get the old mast out of the tubing?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:58 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The tubing out of the mast you mean...LOL I did it on my 82 but I don't remember how it attached. I do know it was very easy. The hardest part was winding the nylon on the spool and closing it up.

Try closing the mast all the way and I think it pops out the bottom. Then you'll see how it attaches.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:12 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hugie82
The tubing out of the mast you mean...LOL I did it on my 82 but I don't remember how it attached. I do know it was very easy. The hardest part was winding the nylon on the spool and closing it up.

Try closing the mast all the way and I think it pops out the bottom. Then you'll see how it attaches.
I managed to close the mast and the nylon has now come out of the bottom of the housing/tube. Just trying to work out how this section comes apart!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Ah, it's easy when you know how.
With a little help from KapsSA it became clear. The small finial on the end of the mast unscrews and then you simply pull the top section of the mast out with the nylon leader.

Now just need to source a new part.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Power Antenna Repair

Quick Reply: 1981 Power Antenna Repair