C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My l48 Project Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My l48 Project Thread

Update: after being so across the board on what I want it was time to make a decision. I talked with a guy and machine shop who helped me build a kit. We decided best route is to buy a new 350 block with all machine work done, bearings installed, etc. To pair with it were going to put in a eagle bottom end kit. It is all one piece main seal with a 4 bolt main too. Then for top end were putting on vortec hd truck heads with 180cc flow and 64cc chambers due to budget. So to break it down

This is my plan:

1)buy bare block 383 engine.................................. Summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet
2)install new eagle 383 bottom end.........................Summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/es...3068/overview/
3)install Vortec 180cc intake runner & 64cc heads.....Craigslist
4)install Summit cam..................................... ........Summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-1104
4)Take it to ShoMeSpeed who is going to re jet/re curve it and dyno
5)pull l48
6)paint engine bay
7)drop new engine in

The tools I need to buy are:

1)Engine hoist ..................(bought)
2)Engine stand .................(bought)
3)torque wrench ...............(bought)
5)cam install tool ..............(bought)

The Parts I already have are as follows:

Lunati Lifters
Felpro gasket set
timing chain
re curve kit
lifters
rocker arms oem
750cfm carb

The parts I need:

summit cam 1104
summit 383 bare block
scat bottom end kit
arp bolt set
Felpro .015 head gasket
Vortec heads
push rods
break in lube for cam etc
harmonic balancer
torque convertor
stroker oil pan
stroker oil pump and pickup

Ill be updating on every part I get and step I make further to completion. Also pics of the new vette will be up sometime too.

I am picking up the heads Tuesday and buying the block from summit hopefully the 12th

Last edited by Planbmatt1; 09-01-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Planbmatt1
Well Ive finished all the major details and I know what route I'm going to take. I will be posting pictures of everything and all parts and going updates probably every two weeks. Ill also probably be asking tons of questions on here. So here goes.

This is my plan:

1)Pull engine
2)Paint engine bay
3) disassemble top end off l48
4) install new top end
5) Take it to Sho mespeed who is going to rejet/recurve it and dyno
6) drop motor back in

I want to everything but step 5 on my own. I have tons of friends who know a ton and my neighbor is a mechanic owner. I also have you guys so I'm fairly confident I can get it done in 2 months average time.

The tools I need to buy are:

1)Engine hoist
2)Engine stand
3)torque wrench
4)push rod checker
5)cam install tool

The Parts I already have are as follows:

Lunati voodo cam 262/268
Felpro gasket set
timing chain
recurve kit
performer intake manifold
lifters
rocker arms oem

The parts I need

Felpro .015 head gasket
Dart shp 64cc heads
push rods
break in lube for cam etc

If anyone has been following my heads choice Ive decided to sit on the money tree and save up for quality heads from apr. I cant afford to spend 200 less and get a crap product.

Ill be updating on every part I get and step I make further to completion. Also pics of the new vette will be up sometime too.

Now question

Will I have to set the valves? Is this basically the last step in assembly?
Nope, after you adjust the valve lash, you still have to put the valve covers back on, then you're done.

Scott
Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

and how do you adjust valve lash?

Also when I install the cam and put the timing chain on. Is there a special position the crank and pistons are suppose to be at in the block or can i just put the dot to dot on the timing chain gears no matter where the pistons are positioned and thats it?
Old 08-23-2013, 03:21 AM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

subbed...
Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Also when I install the cam and put the timing chain on. Is there a special position the crank and pistons are suppose to be at in the block or can i just put the dot to dot on the timing chain gears no matter where the pistons are positioned and thats it?
The crank gear is indexed i.e. keyway and the camshaft has a dowel that aligns with the timing sprocket. The crank gear and timing sprocket can only go on one CORRECT way. First, set THE #1 PISTON ON IT'S COMPRESSION STROKE AT TOP DEAD CENTER before you install the timing chain/sprocket. Now you can install your cam/timing gear set. So now when you align the two dots (timing gear dot at the bottom position i.e. 6 o'clock and the crank gear dot at high noon), that will also set the proper positioning of the pistons and camshaft for valve lashing. It's recommended that you purchase a degree wheel so you can confirm the timing specs on the cam card.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Nope, after you adjust the valve lash, you still have to put the valve covers back on, then you're done.

Scott
And don't forget to add coolant, oil and install filter! Consider buying an oil priming tool and use it prior to starting the engine for the first time.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Watch the many many you tube videos on the subjects...that's were I got most of the info for my build.....just don't go by one video and reading the comments help get a feel if everything was done right.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

gotcha. I was told that you should not turn the crank though after pulling the distributor. So how should I go about getting piston #1 (assuming its the first piston on the right when standing at the front of car ) at the top of its compression stroke?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:14 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1056

Just get this?
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Planbmatt1
Racer

It Is currently a 3speed auto. I can get a 3 speed th350 with linkage and shifter for $100. What else is needed to do swap? I might do it if not much more is Involved
Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Not sure what your budget is or if you will be building engines in the future but if you have the means to purchase tools that you have listed vice renting/borrow, then fill your boots. The advantage of tool ownership is that they are always available when YOU want them, 24/7.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:28 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

The only way you can get the dots to line up properly is if the rotating assembly is properly positioned, so it's not something you need to worry about. What you need is to study the basics. Get a book on rebuilding a chevy small block and study it. Notice I didn't say read it, I said study it. Good luck,

Scott
Old 08-23-2013, 03:08 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
The only way you can get the dots to line up properly is if the rotating assembly is properly positioned, so it's not something you need to worry about. What you need is to study the basics. Get a book on rebuilding a chevy small block and study it. Notice I didn't say read it, I said study it. Good luck,

Scott
Yeah, I just lined the two dots (crank gear and cam gear) perfectly; I did not use a degree wheel either. Once assembled, and after mistakenly setting it at 6 then 8... I set initial timing to 12 degrees BTDC and positioned my HEI rotor very close to #1 plug wire (with cap installed). Dropped the dizzy in and was 180 degree off... argh! Bumped the crank around using my convenient hand-held starter trigger. Brought crank up to 12 BTDC, dropped dizzy back in and it fired right up. Added a little more initial by turning the dizzy counterclockwise and the engine was happy.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:26 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I noticed you plan to bore it .060. Small blocks are usually limited to .030 overbore.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:29 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Reason is i can get forged mahle pistons that require a .060 bore. I read that .060 bore was max. Maybe your right though because all the engine rotating assembly kits dont go over .030 bore.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
I noticed you plan to bore it .060. Small blocks are usually limited to .030 overbore.
I am asking the same question as BKBroiler.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:28 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

I just purchased the heads from a guy off craigslist. I go to pick them up at the machine shop tuesday as they were getting cleaned, new seals, valve job, and guides. I only am paying $150. Great start for the budget build. I also just put in my order for the summit cam with 214 lift. Sold my lunati cam and intake. I need a vortec style intake if anyone has one ill buy it off you. Spread bore

Get notified of new replies

To My l48 Project Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

I just purchased the heads from a guy off craigslist. I go to pick them up at the machine shop tuesday as they were getting cleaned, new seals, valve job, and guides. I only am paying $150. Great start for the budget build. I also just put in my order for the summit cam with 214 lift. Sold my lunati cam and intake. I need a vortec style intake if anyone has one ill buy it off you. Spread bore
So, you're going with some cast iron Vortec heads? Pretty nice score, freshened up Vortecs for 150 bucks.

Scott
Old 09-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

Yep on a 383 stroker eagle kit. Fits the flow numbers I need and makes my compression 9.9:1
Old 09-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Planbmatt1
Racer

I am also ordering the sum-1104 cam and using my lunati lifters

Last edited by Planbmatt1; 09-01-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: My l48 Project Thread