C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 08:57 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing

Anyone using one? I think my 30 year old clutch linkage is on it's last leg and instead of replacing it I was thinking maybe trying to convert to a hydro system. Any input would be appreciated.

[Modified by Fevre, 6:57 AM 7/2/2002]
Old 07-02-2002, 09:02 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing (Fevre)

I use a regular throw out bearing but have a hydraulic clutch. I used the hydraulic master cylinder from a 85 one ton truck. Other then a slight linkage modification it bolted to my firewall in the location where the stock rod passed through. I did not have to even drill a hole, everything was there. The weird 3 angles it is machined on fit perfectly. For a slave cylinder I used the same 85 one ton truck but any camaro bellhousing with the slave cylinder mount should work.
I can't see fiddling with the old linkage system. The flex of a strong motor will destroy the alignment.
I have run this system for 2 years and am very happy with the feel and easy installation.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:09 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing (norvalwilhelm)

Norval

As always good info. Aren't the Camaro bellhousing tilted slightly (18 deg I think) in order for the shift linkage to clear? What year did you use? I am still leaning very heavy towards a t-5 swap. Found one for $500 but they said 5th gear is 'a little sticky'. Any input on 'a little sticky'.

Thanks

Chris
Old 07-02-2002, 12:59 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing (Fevre)

I don't know if the camaro bellhousing is tipped the 15 degrees or not. I used the bellhousing from the 85 one ton because it clears the 14 inch 168 tooth flywheel. The camaro bellhousing will not. The camaro bellhousing along with the T5 would then be rolled over 15 degrees causing the shifter to come out more to the left or drivers side. Wouldn't that be a good thing? Aren't stock T5's in the straight up possition comming out in the center of the consul and you want it more to the left?
I don't know about sticky 5th but 5th is tacked on the back of the transmission for just removing the tail stock , 4 simple bolts expose it along with it's sincro's. It would not be hard to go through and repair 5th. It is a good overdrive transmission and unless you are powershifting it particularly into 3rd it will live.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Throw Out Bearing