C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 10:01 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style?

Ever see this type of setup before? unusual....

Vortech's SN60 supercharger

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1839352383
Old 07-02-2002, 10:06 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (ylose)

Yes, it is a draw through style. The same basic setup has been used since at least the 70s by others.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:10 AM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (Ganey)

Do they work very well? I assume that it would add quite a bit of HP
Old 07-02-2002, 10:11 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (Ganey)

I guess maybe I never noticed them coming through the side before then...
when in the car, tend not to notice connectivity points as much as when a piece of hardware is sitting there and your looking at how to 'bolt-her-on'
!

:eek:
Old 07-02-2002, 10:26 AM
dladd74roadster
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (ylose)

Looking at the pictures, it doesn't look like you would could spool up the boost. The carb side and the engine side are open to each other via small openings right under the carb. That seems to defeat the purpose. Am I wrong or missing something??? :conehead I'm sure someone on here can explain.

dl
Old 07-02-2002, 11:16 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (dladd74roadster)

There would have to be reed valves in the bottom to close the ports when the pressure builds. Under normal driving the reed valves would be drawn open by vacuum. When the revs increased and a positive pressure started to build the reed valves would seal off the small ports. This is the same principle as a 2 stroke. Just guessing.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:29 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (norvalwilhelm)

This design is similiar if not the same as have seen before, maybe they bought it. While it is not clear from the posted pics., there were 6 rect. "valves" below the 6 visible holes below carb & angled to the back.
Old 07-02-2002, 11:30 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (norvalwilhelm)

Sounds about right.

Centrifugal superchargers do very little at idle through about 1500 RPM (obviously the range will differ depending on the unit.) A set of valves that allow fuel/air through under vacuum would increase low end throttle response.
Old 07-02-2002, 02:51 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (Cookwithvette)

Hot Rod ahd a great aticle on a Vortech for carbed engines this month. They enclose the carb in a box so the carb stays in the original location. They pulled 675 HP from a 383. Amost gained 200 HP by the blower. I was all excited until I started to take measurements. It does not look like it will fit the C3 cars. Besides it uses a long water pump. It looks like it would hit hte control arm. Looked like a pretty good system anyhow.
Old 07-02-2002, 04:10 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style? (Gordonm)

There is no problem blowing through the carb. With a small equalizer tube and pressure referenced fuel regulator you can easily blow through the carb. A superchargers does not help much below 3000 but at the top end it can put out alot of boost. I saw a very mild bigblock with a blow through carb put out 750 hp easily. It was in super chevy.

Get notified of new replies

To Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style?

Quick Reply: Paxton Supercharger Setup For carbed SBC, draw through style?