C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 brakes very mushy and brake waning light came on

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Jim Leach
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 brakes very mushy and brake waning light came on

I just bought my first Vette about 10 days ago. 1980 L-82.
when I was driving it this weekend, the brake pedal started to feel mushy and then my brake warning light came on.

Luckily I was near the house so I just took it home. I have not had a chance to really investigate but there was no sign of a brake fluid leak.

Any Thoughts?
Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

You probably have a caliper seal leaking. Time to rebuild the brake system. Check all four corners before you start. Calipers, hoses, pads if they are wet from brake fluid or just need replacing. Do it all and do it right.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

May or not be related but mine did that... Added brake fluid, checked parking brake handle ect.... Could not find anything leaking... Then while it was in the shop to get body lifted and new mounts installed they found the right rear caliper cracked....seeped onto wheel and tire but never enough to drop to floor .... As advised, just do it all right and be done with it....
Old 09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If the brake system seems old or original, it's worth it to replace the entire system with a master kit for a little over $400.00 It saves a lot of head aches in the long run and if you run it hard, like I do.... It's a piece of mind.
I've been piecing my brakes together for 4 years and it cost me a lot more plus the down time doing the repairs I'll never do it that way again
Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Leach
I just bought my first Vette about 10 days ago. 1980 L-82.
when I was driving it this weekend, the brake pedal started to feel mushy and then my brake warning light came on.

Luckily I was near the house so I just took it home. I have not had a chance to really investigate but there was no sign of a brake fluid leak.

Any Thoughts?
If there's no signs of external leaks, try bleeding each caliper. If that 'fixes' the problem don't be surprised if the warning light and low pedal returns. If it's once again air in a caliper, it's likely the previous owner installed new rotors without measuring and correcting the inevitable runout.

There's tons of posts on this scenario, very common.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I just rebuilt my brake system. Rebuilt all calipers with o-rings, new rotors, repacked front bearings, new small rear lines, new met. pads, and 4 brake hoses.

Brakes work great and no noise.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:24 AM
Tychamon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't see any leaks around the calipers look at the back of your master cylinder and see if it is leaking onto the brake booster. My was doing the same, replaced the master and bled the brakes. Fixed the problem

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 brakes very mushy and brake waning light came on

Quick Reply: 1980 brakes very mushy and brake waning light came on