C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:27 PM
Cattiva73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where?

Finally I decided to have the chevy 402 on my 1973 corvette REBUILT.

I live in Northern Virginia area and I was wondering if there is a shop/person that you recommend...
Old 09-30-2013, 04:17 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

try contacting a local corvette club or chevy club
Old 09-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Cattiva73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I?

I hate seeing my corvette getting hit by little rocks and stuff when driving...I though about getting those front nose mask:

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1973-1974.html

..is this a good resolution? thoughts?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:39 PM
RodgerF
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure where you are at but give these guys a try: http://www.candcmotorsports.com/

I used them about 20 years ago when I lived there. Good place to use back then. More recently I used these guys: http://www.therestorationshoponline.com/ Nice shop with knowledgeable staff. They did a F*rd 292 Y-Block for me.

(Notice I didn't say Ford!)

Rodger
Old 09-30-2013, 06:46 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 456 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by RodgerF
Not sure where you are at but give these guys a try: http://www.candcmotorsports.com/

I used them about 20 years ago when I lived there. Good place to use back then. More recently I used these guys: http://www.therestorationshoponline.com/ Nice shop with knowledgeable staff. They did a F*rd 292 Y-Block for me.

(Notice I didn't say Ford!)

Rodger
carroll at c&c has been in business for decades and has a good reputation. supercar engineering in maryland was started by Malcom Durham and is now run by his son . see if Kenson automotive is still in business they are in fairfax city. also stop by prince william marine in occoquon and ask Carlton Phillips for a recomendation .Carlton is a retired Pro Stock racer and knows everyone. one of those should pan out for you.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:46 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cattiva73
I hate seeing my corvette getting hit by little rocks and stuff when driving...I though about getting those front nose mask:

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1973-1974.html

..is this a good resolution? thoughts?
The bra is a good thing for keeping rock chips off the car. Problem is it also rubs the paint off. It moves slightly while driving and rubs.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TimAT
The bra is a good thing for keeping rock chips off the car. Problem is it also rubs the paint off. It moves slightly while driving and rubs.
Maybe look into the 3M film option.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:14 PM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm having my engine re-worked by Matt Stambaugh here in Fredericksburg. He owns New Generation Racing. He used to live in Northern Virginia, but his Dad (Nostalgia Dragster legend Rick 'Surf' Stambaugh) moved them down this way years ago. He's currently driver for Bunny Burkett in her Top Alcohol funny car. He recently set the class track record at MIR during a tuning session.

Matt is as good as they come. He's an old-school racer with a hands-on approach. He doesn't leave it to other folks and has real opinions on what would work for the individual person and the individual car. No two are alike.

He gets lots of business from all around the state. He is very widely known as one of the best engine balancers. And he is very particular about his builds (read: **** retentive) and doesn't trust the work to anyone.

He just built a run-stand and is now breaking engines in and tuning them before delivery. This is helpful since you're able to get pretty darn close to a tuned engine even before it is in the car.

I'm a real fan of dealing with a human being in a real brick-and-mortar shop. There is merit to having discussions with someone knowledgable and having the engine matched to your driving styles and your machinery.

Matt Stambaugh. New Generation Racing. Fredericksburg. The best.

Last edited by keithinspace; 09-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:37 PM
GRIZ73
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Where

Walters Precision Engines Roanoke,Va.
Terry Walters took my 454 to 496 and 635 hp rebuilt my 4speed and added Gear Vendors Overdrive.
I could not be happier!
Old 09-30-2013, 11:58 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Hi Cattiva, I live in your area and also have a 73. I was facing a similar choice recently and chose to go with rebuilding my small block 383 with components selected by me and using local shops. The alternative was to purchase a zz383 crate engine. I learned these lessons the hard way:

1. There are very few shops in this area, and even less that are good.

2. Finding someone who truly knows what they are doing, stands behind their work and donsn't charge an arm and a leg is not and that YOU can trust is downright impossible.

Assuming this is a 402 Big Block, you really have no idea what a "rebuild" will entail until it is torn down.... and then here's hoping the analyst knows his stuff. Then comes a million opinions about component selection, switching to roller valvetrain and other things which cost money that will not be well spent on a 402.

I ended up spending many months and ~$1000 more on my custom 383 vice the zz383. The aggravation and personal time wasted cannot be acccounted for. Now I do have a screaming, forged, full roller unique 383...however the zz383 would have been the better value all the way...

My advice is to post the 402 for sale on the Chevelle forums, and buy a 454 HO crate motor to replace it in your vette. Forged bottom, roller valve train, runs great on pump gas, well mannered and gobs of torque.

I would recommend Walsh' VIP Auto in Purcellville (Ken the Kid, look him up on Super Chevy) to do the installation.

my .02.

peace and good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Where?

Quick Reply: Where?