C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! Dewitt's radiator install going south!!!

Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 AM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Dewitt's radiator install going south!!!

I purchased a Dewitt's radiator with the fan kit. It's taken me 4 days to install it, along with a water pump. First time doing a radiator and water pump explains most of my troubles I experienced.

I finally got it all together, I thought I got the wiring right, I started filling the radiator with distilled water and coolant.

I cranked the motor. It dropped a little and I filled it some more. I ended up putting about 2 and a half Gal. of coolant, and about 2 gal. of distilled water.

I let the motor run, but the temp gauge climbed pretty quick to 220 and showed no sign of slowing down. The electric fans didn't cut on either, so I shut it down.

I unhooked the heater hose on the top of the intake manifold and coolant came out, so I am guessing there's water circulating in the block?

The "iffy" parts about my fan motor wiring are the black ground wires from the motors... Not sure if it's a good ground. ...and the orange wire that goes to the ignition, I hooked into the ignition control wire on the fuse panel...so I was unclear about that. The diagram says orange to ignition...so i am sure I got that wrong.

Any help it GREATLY appreciated!!

last night, near completion..

Last edited by SGTCrowley; 10-02-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm about to undertake the same , but with just the fan install. do you have a test lite or a volt ohm meter? where did you install the temp sensor? to check your ground with test lite; install alligator clip on big terminal of alternator, probe end to your ground. if lite comes on ground is good. to test positive, key on, alligator clip on negative stud of alternator, then probe wire. lite should come on. which brings me back to my question, where did the temp sensor get installed? Dewitt says to install it into the thermostadt housing, but my housing doesn't have a port and yours is alreading being used. so I guess we all need help here.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:31 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i just changed mine to a champion 3 row and only took about 3 hours, but i stayed with the clutch fan. the wiring shouldn't be that bad. does your alternator put out enough to run that fan?
Old 10-02-2013, 07:34 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I did a write up on this when I did mine...hope it helps!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...pals-pics.html

Old 10-02-2013, 07:43 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

good write up.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:44 AM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Just a reminder...don't forget to replace the rubber seal(s) on the top and sides of your radiator and condensor. Most of the time they have dry rotted and fallen off so most people don't know they where there or missing.

These help to keep the pressure and flow in the correct direction.

Kevin
Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 AM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrJlr
I did a write up on this when I did mine...hope it helps!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...pals-pics.html

That is a good write up! Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
i just changed mine to a champion 3 row and only took about 3 hours, but i stayed with the clutch fan. the wiring shouldn't be that bad. does your alternator put out enough to run that fan?
I ran the power wire all the way to my battery.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
I'm about to undertake the same , but with just the fan install. do you have a test lite or a volt ohm meter? where did you install the temp sensor? to check your ground with test lite; install alligator clip on big terminal of alternator, probe end to your ground. if lite comes on ground is good. to test positive, key on, alligator clip on negative stud of alternator, then probe wire. lite should come on. which brings me back to my question, where did the temp sensor get installed? Dewitt says to install it into the thermostadt housing, but my housing doesn't have a port and yours is alreading being used. so I guess we all need help here.
The radiator I purchased had the temp sensor installed on the left side of the radiator, below the hose. I kept seeing a drip, which looked like it was coming from the sensor. I tried blue RTV on the sensor threads, still dripped, then teflon tape...STILL DRIPPED!!! I looked with my mirror and it looked like there might be a crack in the weld!!!!

I was completely freaking out at this point. Then I realized it was just the hose clamp above the sensor. LOL!! That's how this install has been going!!

...but, yeah, I need to buy a volt meter...For Sure!!
Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Is your thermostat opening?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:22 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SGTCrowley
I ran the power wire all the way to my battery.
You could have gone to the starter
Old 10-02-2013, 02:24 PM
langg
Racer

The way mine is wired, the wire going to the temperature sensor in the radiator completes the ground when the thermostatic switch trips. If the radiator is not grounded, the fans won't run. Make sure you run a ground from the radiator to the frame or some other grounded structure.

Langg
Old 10-02-2013, 05:10 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would attack this in three steps,
1> get it cooling with all the fluid, no thermostat, wired directly to power (no sensor). this will ensure coolant is flowing and pump is pumping the right direction. bring it up to temp or as high as it will go without a stat.
2> once that works introduce the thermostat again ensuring flow at temp. stat is installed in the correct direction isnt it?
3> then wire with sensor. You already know the flow and stat are working and wont chase your tail with those. any issues you find will be sensor related.

Last edited by jnealg; 10-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

It sounds like the only issue here is the fans are not coming on and you don't need the engine running to test this out.

1. Make sure the power wire is run to the battery or battery starter post.
2. Make sure the fuses are not blown
3. The ignition wire should be run to a wire that goes hot when the ignition is turned on. (the wiper motor is a good option) This way the fans won't continue to run when you turn the key to off.
4. The rad/fan kit was supplied with a ground strap, make sure that it is connected to a good ground.

With all that checked, turn the key to ignition, then take the sensor wire off the switch and touch it to ground. if the fans come on, everything is wired correctly. If not, start over.

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 10-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 PM
donyue
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SGTCrowley
I purchased a Dewitt's radiator with the fan kit. It's taken me 4 days to install it, along with a water pump. First time doing a radiator and water pump explains most of my troubles I experienced.

I finally got it all together, I thought I got the wiring right, I started filling the radiator with distilled water and coolant.

I cranked the motor. It dropped a little and I filled it some more. I ended up putting about 2 and a half Gal. of coolant, and about 2 gal. of distilled water.

I let the motor run, but the temp gauge climbed pretty quick to 220 and showed no sign of slowing down. The electric fans didn't cut on either, so I shut it down.

I unhooked the heater hose on the top of the intake manifold and coolant came out, so I am guessing there's water circulating in the block?

The "iffy" parts about my fan motor wiring are the black ground wires from the motors... Not sure if it's a good ground. ...and the orange wire that goes to the ignition, I hooked into the ignition control wire on the fuse panel...so I was unclear about that. The diagram says orange to ignition...so i am sure I got that wrong.

Any help it GREATLY appreciated!!

last night, near completion..
I have my Dewitts with the dual spal fans in without any problem and they are working great.

Okay, first we need to determine whether your thermostat is opening. When your engine reaches 200 degrees, does the top radiator hose feel hot? If so that means your thermostat is opening as intended.

If the thermostat does not open (hose not hot) then the hot coolant won't get to the sending unit that is mounted in the rad to trigger the fans and the coolant will only stay in the engine block and never circulate to the rad properly.

Secondly, do you have the grey wires hooked up to the temperature sending unit mounted in the rad just under the upper rad hose? The sending unit should trigger the fans on at about 195 degrees.

As you mentioned do you have the black wires from the fans grounded properly? I grounded mine to the lower rad mount with a stainless bolt.

The orange wires are only a 12V trigger which energize the relays based on current running to them when the engine is running, they are not high current. So basically any 12v power that is on when the key is on. Wiper circuit, engine circuit, etc.

I connected mine to the brown power wire that runs to the distributor which is only powered on when the ignition is on.

For the two yellow power wires, I connected them directly to a separate fused power connection running directly off my battery (due to the high current draw when the fans are running).

Hope some of this information helps.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 AM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
It sounds like the only issue here is the fans are not coming on and you don't need the engine running to test this out.

1. Make sure the power wire is run to the battery or battery starter post.
2. Make sure the fuses are not blown
3. The ignition wire should be run to a wire that goes hot when the ignition is turned on. (the wiper motor is a good option) This way the fans won't continue to run when you turn the key to off.
4. The rad/fan kit was supplied with a ground strap, make sure that it is connected to a good ground.

With all that checked, turn the key to ignition, then take the sensor wire off the switch and touch it to ground. if the fans come on, everything is wired correctly. If not, start over.
Thanks Tom!! I got it all together now and took it for an extended test drive last night! It was awesome! It ran sooooo cool!!!!

The real test will be next summer, here in Phoenix! I'll keep you posted!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 AM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by donyue
I have my Dewitts with the dual spal fans in without any problem and they are working great.

Okay, first we need to determine whether your thermostat is opening. When your engine reaches 200 degrees, does the top radiator hose feel hot? If so that means your thermostat is opening as intended.

If the thermostat does not open (hose not hot) then the hot coolant won't get to the sending unit that is mounted in the rad to trigger the fans and the coolant will only stay in the engine block and never circulate to the rad properly.

Secondly, do you have the grey wires hooked up to the temperature sending unit mounted in the rad just under the upper rad hose? The sending unit should trigger the fans on at about 195 degrees.

As you mentioned do you have the black wires from the fans grounded properly? I grounded mine to the lower rad mount with a stainless bolt.

The orange wires are only a 12V trigger which energize the relays based on current running to them when the engine is running, they are not high current. So basically any 12v power that is on when the key is on. Wiper circuit, engine circuit, etc.

I connected mine to the brown power wire that runs to the distributor which is only powered on when the ignition is on.

For the two yellow power wires, I connected them directly to a separate fused power connection running directly off my battery (due to the high current draw when the fans are running).

Hope some of this information helps.
Thanks! I finally got it, thanks to this Forum!!
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 AM
SGTCrowley
Advanced

Originally Posted by SH-60B
You could have gone to the starter
...well, I needed to vacuum under my driver's seat anyway. But, yeah, the starter would have saved me a lot of trouble

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! Dewitt's radiator install going south!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!!! Dewitt's radiator install going south!!!